John Shelby - 'Life As We Know It'

You were getting ready for a date that your best friend and her boyfriend, had set up for you. Sitting on the living room chair, you waited for your mysterious man to appear - even though he was already 1 hour late. Sitting there twiddling your thumbs, you hear the door knock. Standing up, you open the door and it reveals the mysterious man.

"Uh, hi" The man smiles as he looks you up and down.

"Hi" You answer, still pretty annoyed that he was late. "I am Y/N" You nervously chuckle, shaking his hand.

"John" He shakes your hand.

"It is nice to finally meet you, John" You dig slightly, but try to make it as subtle as you could.

"Am I Iate?" He asks and looks to his watch, shrugging as he sees the time.

"Um. just an hour." You brush it off. "But I just finished getting ready. Plus Alison said it was your m.o, so..."

"Peter said you'd probably say something." He referred to Alison's partner, Peter, who you had met many times.

"Ha. ha. Oh. did he? Oh. okay." You awkwardly laugh, wanting to bury your head in the sand.

"Should we go?" He questioned and you look at him, nodding his head.

"Yeah. yeah. Let's go." You grin and lock the door.

"Yeah. Let's get some dinner." He says and the two of you walk out on the streets, walking down the road.

"I'm super hungry. It's been Iike an hour." You tease and he laughs awkwardly, making you widen your eyes when he is not looking. You felt so awkward. Walking down the road, you look up to him.

"So how long have you know Peter?" You asked and John shrugged.

"Since we were kids." He answers and you smile.

"Ah, so a long time" You make conversation, but it was slowly dying.

"So where shaII we go?" He asks and you frown, stopping in your stride and looking up to him in confusion.

"Uh. where did you make the reservations?" You ask, praying he had done so.

"Thought you said you were gonna make it?" He frowns and you smile in disbelief.

"You didn't make them?" You scoff and he shakes his head.

"I said that?" He says and you take a deep breath in, trying to get over it.

"It's cooI. Whatever." You try to forget, but the more talking he did really pissed you off.

"Yeah. it's cooI." He repeats awkwardly.

"We can go anywhere. I don't care." You say and you both end up walking to the nearest restaurant.

The both of you sat down and looked at the menu. The place looked really run down, but you tried to not allow it to affect you and the date, though you found yourself repeating that more so than you wanted too.

"Hey John." One of the girls giggled as she came up to the table. He stood up quickly and grabbed her, pulling to the side. You shook your head and rolled your eyes, getting so fed up with him.

"You have got to be kidding me" You huff and put your bag on your lap. John comes up to you and tries to play it cool.

"Sorry about that." He coughs. "She is sick."

"You know. we don't have to do this." You scoff with a smile, trying not to be so annoyed by his actions and thinking he is a total dick.

"ReaIIy?" He happily says and sits back in his chair. "Okay."

"Oh. my God. are you serious?" You snap, shaking your head even more. Now unable to control the words that were coming out of your mouth.

"Okay, Iet's be honest." He began. "You knew the moment you saw me you didn't Iike me."

"But our mutual friends set this up." You begin, but you knew he was totally right. "So I think we owe it to them to—"

"To what." He interrupted, which you glared at him for.

"Spend a few hours faking smaII taIk?" You scoff annoyed by his stubbornness.

"Look. best case, we get drunk and we hook up." He smugly says, and your mouth gapes open in horror.

"What kind of an asshoIe are you?" You snap and stand up in anger, when he follows you outside instead of arguing in the restaurant.

"Look. it's a Saturday night." He shrugs. "I just want to have some fun. I can go see my sick friend. and you can go do...whatever it is you Iike to do on a Saturday night. You Iook Iike you read. You can go read a book." He looked you up and down. "Do you bIog?"

"Do I bIog?" You question and then shake your head, realising that was not what mattered. "Okay. You know what? If you wanted to ensure that this wasn't going to be a Iousy night. here's a tip: Don't show up an hour Iate. and don't flirt with other girls in front of the persons face.

"She's sick." He lies, and you scoff, shaking your head.

"Oh. right." You sarcastically spoke, glaring at him and finding yourself getting more and more mad. "Were you going to heaI her with your magic penis?"

"Okay." He snaps. "Fine. If you want to go out. we'II go out—"

"-Oh. my God. no." You laugh, feeling like a fool. "I'm not going out with you now. What are you. crazy?"

"You are so dramatic" He rolls her eyes.

"I have had enough." You snap, walking away but made sure he could still hear you "I don't know what they were thinking."

"Me neither." He yells back.

"AIison. oh. my God." You say to yourself. "I swear the only way you can make this up to me, is if you promise me that I never have to see him again."

Throughout the years, Peter and Alison got married and had a small child. They always invited you and John to everything together. You were both the Godparents for the child, which they named Helena. You were both always trying to annoy each other. For example, at Peter and Alison's wedding, the photos:

"Ready 1, 2 and 3" The photographer said and took the photos, before looking at you and beginning to talk again. "Wait you are the maid of honour. You need to stand there"

He pointed to in front of John, as he was the best man for Peter. You huffed and begged to not go there.

"I can stand here, it is not a big deal." You beg but no one listens to your pleas. You stand in front of him and he slaps your bottom, making you squeal and move away.

"John!" You moaned, and he said nothing but only laughed at you, winking as you turned to face him with an unhappy face.

"Smile" He teased, and you rolled your eyes; taking the picture properly.

You both flirted with each other but argued like brother and sister. It was a very strange relationship, but you both could not stand each other.