Chapter 14

The morning of Castiel's first night in Sam's old bedroom, Dean was in the kitchen cooking breakfast and whistling some forgotten tune. He flipped fried eggs with his spatula and then set the utensil aside.

"Cas! Get up, will ya?" he called, opening the cupboard next to him and taking out two plates. He popped two pieces of bread into the toaster. He abandoned the food after making sure the eggs weren't burning to stand by the foot of the stairs. "We've got a long day ahead of us!" He hurried back to the stove and flopped the eggs onto their respective plates.

Castiel stumbled into the kitchen just as Dean had finished with their toast.

Dean smiled at him. "Took you long enough," he said, plate in each hand.

The ex-angel rolled his eyes.

Dean raised his eyebrows, then squeezed past the late riser in the tiny kitchen to get to

the dining table. He set their plates across from each other and went back into the kitchen to pour them their drinks.

"Dean," Castiel started, voice rough with sleep. "I've come to the conclusion that seven

a.m. is too early to wake up."

Dean snorted, arriving back at their table with a cup of orange juice and a mug full of coffee. He put the orange juice in front of Castiel's food. "You're such a freaking teenager, Cas. People get up this early all the time. Most people have to get up earlier even." He bit into his breakfast.

Frowning, Castiel followed Dean's lead and started to eat. He winced, choked it down, and then asked; "Why?"

"To get to work." Dean picked up his mug and sipped the bitter substance. "Some people have to open stores, and depending on the store, have to get there before six."

Castiel furrowed his eyebrows. "Is that why you always leave so early?"

"Biggerson's is open 24/7," Dean stated.

Eyebrows still furrowed, frown still in place, Castiel slowly nodded. He looked away from Dean and stared at the orange liquid in his glass. He carefully picked it up and hesitated a moment before actually drinking it.

Castiel jerked the glass away from him and scrunched up his nose.

Dean raised his eyebrows. "You, uh... You good?"

Castiel shook his head, setting the glass down. "It feels acidic on my tongue."

Dean grinned, setting his fork onto the plate. He reached over and grabbed Castiel's cup. "Not an orange juice fan, huh?" He took it over to the sink and dumped it out, rinsing the cup until all of the juice was gone. This time, he filled the glass with water. "Here, we'll stick with the basics."

Castiel took the water from him. "Dean, what is it that we're doing today? I already have all the clothes I need."

Dean got comfortable in his seat again. "We," he said, pointing his fork at Castiel, "are going to socialize." He started eating again.

"Socialize?"

"Yeah, man. Humans are very sociable creatures," Dean explained. "We go crazy if we're isolated too long. It's why solitary confinement is so psychologically devastating."

Castiel still looked unsure. "I don't think this is very wise. My 'people skills' are rusty," he said, actually using air quotes.

Dean smiled at him. "That's exactly why we're doing this."

Frowning, Castiel looked down at his food. The two continued to eat in silence after that.

⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥