Chapter 8

Zaria's POV

As I walked into my class Monday morning, everyone stopped whatever they were doing and looked at me. I didn't know what to do so I just went to my seat. I've been getting the stink eye from people since the show down between Joel and I and it has been nothing short of humiliating.

Lyla haven't spoken to me since last week and it's eating me up. Ada on the other hand has been giving me attitude. I knew she had a soft spot for him so it was expected. I tried calling them but they didn't pick up. At some point Lyla even switched off her phone. Lucky for me, Joel didn't make do with his threat. He didn't rat me out to Mr Ajanaku but it made me feel ten times more guilty than I already felt.

Classes went in a flash and soon it was break time. I walked to the garden and saw Lyla, Ada and few other guys seated and talking. I walked up to them. Ada spotted me first and tapped Lyla, who turned around. Her facial expression was indifferent. Ada on the other hand didn't seem to hide her displeasure.

"Hi, guys." I waved.

"What do you want Zaria?" Ada asked, her tone coming off as snappy. I kept telling myself that I deserved everything,  all the treatment they were giving to me.

"Can I talk to you guys?" I asked. Lyla looked at Ada who rolled her eyes in return and looked away.

"Give us a few minutes guys." Lyla told the others and dragged Ada up. We walked distance away from the group.

"We are all hears." Lyla folded her hands across her chest. I exhaled, trying to find my words.

"I'm sorry." I began and they kept looking at me like I didn't say anything important. I wasn't one to apologize. I wasn't used to it. So forgive me if I wasn't doing it right. I just need my friends back.

"Wait. That's it?" Lyla asked incredulously. Ada let out her mocking laugh and clapped her hand together dramatically.

"If that is your apology then you are definitely wasting your time." Ada hissed and made to walk away but I stopped her.

"Please na. You know I don't do this on a normal day. I'm trying to make amends here." I pleaded the best way I could. Lyla sighed.

"Zaria, Ada is right. Whatever you just did now is not an apology. If you actually want to apologize you will try better than that." Lyla spoke calmly. I exhaled, feeling frustrated.

"I know I messed up, big time. What I did to Joel was uncalled for and I regret it terribly. You guys know I'm not a bad person. I'm just..." I trailed off, trying to find the right words to you.

"Insecure? Because that's the only word that can be used to qualify that obnoxious behavior." Ada dead panned and I gapped at her, wondering why she was being so harsh.

"Ada! That wasn't so nice!" Lyla chided and I felt my chest lighten. At least she's supporting me this once. Ada scoffed and looked away.

"It's not like she was any nice to Joel, either. So don't preach to me about being nice." She retorted and I exhaled, beyond exhausted and frustrated.

"At least I'm now apologizing. I'm trying to make amends. I'll do whatever it takes to get you guys back. I'm so sorry." I pleaded again, throwing a puppy dog look at Lyla who rolled her eyes playfully.