Chapter 6

General Artemis and I have been going back and forth, for nearly twenty minutes. About his plan to use us to bust open that bunker, and potentially kill everyone inside. I had our science officer run a scan of the bunker, and there are approximately three hundred people in there. If we bust those doors open what do think is going to those people in there? "General, what I'm saying is let's show them what this ship can do. Give demonstration of the Helios's fire power." I hope he will listen. "I'm sure that they will come out to talk."

[I'm not here to negotiate! I'm here to put down this insurrection by any means necessary!] He is ADAMANT this old bastard! He won't relent! Then I remember something. Something that happened in the Africa campaign, that bothered him to no end. That's where he got his reputation, as the Butcher of Beni-Mallal, a town at the foot of the Atlas Mountains in Morocco. He hated the name and it spread like wild fire. By the time of the insurrection of Beni-Mallal, most of the African nations had joined the UEA. The war had, by all accounts ended. Many of the UEA forces were being drawn down, then Beni-Mallal occurred. Newly minted Colonel Artemis led his regiment into the city, to put it down. But, wouldn't you know, those pesky insurrectionist fought back and pushed his first effort right out of town. In the end he ordered his men to shoot anything that moved, and had my squadron fly in and flatten half the town. I was against it! So he had me relieved of command. It turned into the bloodiest battle of the whole campaign. It took months of negotiations to regain the trust of the other African nations, but most of all Morocco. It almost ended the Generals career.

"General," I speak emphatically, to gain his ear. "Sir, lets not have another Beni-Mallal here." His face visibly pales at my statement.

[Then What do you suggest we do Captain?] He asks obviously taken aback by this and pulls out a handkerchief to wipe his forehead. Now don't get me wrong, victory is the end game here. However, I think we can avoid unnecessary blood shed and if it can be achieved, then we should try to resolve it that way. Use of force should be the last resort, if all else fails.

"Lets do as I said; giving them a well needed demonstration will cause them to consider negotiating with us, sir." I watch him mole this over in his mind, as he debates other options; one of his aids says loud enough 'that's a good idea.'

   He glances at his aid with an annoyed expression on his face, that almost makes me want to chuckle, but I fight it back since I don't want him to feel ridiculed in front of his men. [Very Well Captain, lets go with your plan and see. But, if I see that it's not working we will proceed with my plan. Is that clear Captain?]

I nod. "Crystal Sir." As far as I can see this would be the only way he would agree to this. It won't look like he just came to kill everyone, in order to silence decent. If it comes to that point he can always say 'hey we tried to talk.' What I want to know still is why these folks would do this; especially now that we are on our maiden voyage on the Helios. Not that they would know that we were on our way. I think there's more to this than we're being told. At least more than I'm being told.

[One more thing Captain, you and Major Roberts will lead these negotiations, should they occur.] Ok, wasn't expecting that one.

"Yes Sir, I understand." I glance at Mandy and she looks a little surprised at the turn of events, however I take it in stride as I nod to Mandy that it will be fine. "We will start the demonstration in fifteen mikes. I suggest you clear out of these coordinates ASAP General." I send him the numbers for the firing solution and he nods.

    "Make sure that BUSTER bomb lands close enough to really shake em' up; other wise it's just a waste of ammo." He adds.

    "Yes Sir." He ends the transmission, and I sit back in the Captains chair letting out a breath. "Weapons. Heat up the main guns and prep a BUSTER bomb." The BUSTER bomb is an eight thousand pound orbit to Earth heavy high explosive ordinance, that originally was deployed from a satellite in orbit. With the weight and the altitude and it's thrusters when deployed from orbit the impact is like a large meteor hitting the surface. It will take out an area over a mile wide; it just devastates everything within that one mile radius. It was used once during the Unification War; I was young, but I remember my father criticizing the UEA for using such a weapon. He wasn't the only one to condemn its use; the upside of it is that the Stans opted to join. The conflict in that part of the world to a large degree stopped.