Chapter Fifteen

Wren stepped back from the Dragons glass and plopped himself on the first step of the dais. His shoulders slumped, but he didn't fully curl himself into a ball. Both arms hung limp at his sides and he stared into the distance, but Siobhan suspected he was staring at nothing in particular.

"Now you see what a danger he is." Korix growled, lowering its head to be even with Wren.

Siobhan drew her daggers again and stepped between the dragon and her friend. "Wren isn't any more a threat then I am! He can learn to control his magic just as the Draygon did. Neither of us asked for our kind to be created and I will not punish him for the choices of corrupted assholes." She sneered at the dragons, hissing back when they roared. If they wanted Wren, they'd have to kill her too. "If the hags thought he was a danger, they would've killed him before he was born."

Korix roared. Steaming breath slammed against Siobhan, nearly knocking her over. She twisted her feet, anchoring them as much as possible. Only a fool went up against a dragon and she knew it. One swipe of their talon and she'd be worm food. Hell they simply needed to step on her like a bug and her life force would end. Siobhan stood her ground, all to protect the moron sitting behind her.

Eye to eye, she and Korix stared each other down like two animals ready to fight. In many ways, she was an animal. Her blood was a mixture of creatures and magic combined into one not-so-perfect creation. Draygon were created with a purpose to destroy Garrith and were supposed to be destroyed soon after. But they fought for their right to live and she would damn well fight for Wren's right. Magic didn't create evil. Evil is what corrupted magic and she refused to believe there was a single evil bone in Wren's body.

She jumped when Wren grabbed her shoulder and nodded for her to step back. Siobhan narrowed her eyes, flexing her hand against her daggers hilt. He nodded again, the ends of his lips twitching. Reluctantly, she sighed and stepped back.

"I won't let Siobhan kill herself to defend me, so if killing me is what you want, then fine. But I think I deserve a right to speak. Don't you?"

A growl rumbled from Korix, its nostrils flaring with every breath. The dragon's talons scrapped against the floor when it stepped closer. Siobhan's jaw tightened when it lowered its head and sniffed Wren. Wren stayed still even as the dragons breath tousled his hair and clothes. It raised a talon, brushing the tip against Wren's cheek. He didn't flinch, Wren was a statue residing himself to his fate. Siobhan didn't like it. Not one bit.

Both hands tensed their grip. She knew her knuckles whitened by the force of the squeeze and she could feel the rough decorations of her modest daggers digging into her palm. They wouldn't cut her, but she wished they would. At least physical pain made sense to her. The ache in her heart at the thought of the dragons killing Wren was a feeling that made no sense to her. Losing Wren would be like losing her family all over again.

When Korix pulled back to sit on its haunches, Siobhan released a heavy breath. The dragon stayed close enough it would be able to grab Wren in a second, but it made no motion to eat the moron. Korix nodded and said, "Very well. Plead your case."

"Siobhan's species was created to fight Garrith. Is that true or just another lie she's been fed her entire life?"

"It is true."

"And they failed?"

Korix blinked and nodded. "They did. Even the combined strength of multiple beings wasn't enough to take on the evil that is Garrith. He was . . . underestimated."

"So they buried him in the ground within the lowlands, an area that created the chasm upon his release."

Siobhan frowned and opened her mouth. Wren raised a hand as if he knew she was going to ask where he was going with his questions. He lowered his hand when she said nothing. Korix watched them both, tilting its head from one side to the other as if studying them.