THIRTY FOUR

The movie was a comedy. They had lots of popcorn, and then some garlic bread. It was cold outside, again.

They were both dressed warmly, but Juliet... well, she was a child again. She was dressed in brown pants, a thick white colored sweater, and had her blonde hair in two pigtails. She was currently licking her ice cream. It was chocolate.

Alex said, "you have chocolate in the corner of your mouth."

Juliet licked the corner of her mouth. "Is it gone now?"

"No."

She tried again. "Now?"

"It's gone." A small, amused smile.

"Good," she said, walking happily next to him. There was a small bounce in her step. They were walking back to their dorms.

Alex glanced at her. "You remind me of a child right now."

"Am I supposed to feel insulted?"

He shook his head. "I almost forgot that Juliet came with a childish twist."

She smiled smugly. "Juliet herself is a childish twist."

They went to her room, and they sat on the sofa. They stared at each other.

"Now what?" Alex muttered.

"You read mythology, right?" Juliet asked suddenly.

"Yes..." His answer was wary.

"I bought a book I thought you might like the other day." She got up quickly and grabbed a book from her shelf. She handed it to him and settled back in her seat. "It had great reviews."

"Nose Mythology by Neil Gaiman," he read out loud.

"It's yours," Juliet told him.

"I couldn't possibly - "

"But it's for you."

"But - "

"Shut up, you little fuck. It's for you," she snarled.

He sighed and said, "fine."

"Good," Juliet said, triumph written all over her face. "You can start reading it now, if you like."

"...now?"

"Yes. Now." Juliet curled her legs up, and she became a ball of white fluff on the couch with two adorable pigtails. "Go on."

He shifted uncomfortably. "I feel uncomfortable with you staring at me like that while I read."

"Why? It's just me."

He mumbled something incoherently and then said, "alright." He started reading to himself.

Juliet interrupted, "read it out loud."

He raised an eyebrow.

"I want to hear it too," she added.

He was quiet for a few seconds, and then replied, "as you wish."

Juliet was pleased.

He started reading. He was very stiff for the first ten minutes, but then slowly relaxed. When Juliet's eyes were closed and they were in the middle of the book, he paused and said, "Juliet? Are you listening?" He felt like a little boy vying for his mother's approval.

Juliet, her eyes still closed, said softly, "I'm still listening. Go on. You're doing great, sweetie."

So the sweetie continued his reading.

It was evening by the time he finished. He loved the book. He told Juliet just how much he liked it. "Thank you."

Like in Alex's language meant love. Alex rarely liked anything.

Juliet mumbled, "you're welcome." She yawned. "Do you want some water or something? You must be parched after all that reading."

And he said softly, "no, it's okay."

She yawned again, a little more quietly this time, but wider. "Okay, Alex." And then she went to sleep.

Alex placed the book on the table and went to her bedroom to pick up a blanket. He came back to the living room and found Juliet now occupying the entire couch.

He smiled.

He put the blanket over her gently. Just as he turned to leave, he felt Juliet suddenly grab his hand.

His heart soared. Would she ask him to stay? That was always what happened in movies and -

"Lock the door properly on your way out," she mumbled.

Alex wanted to laugh. He actually wanted to laugh. God. He'd never had a reason to laugh until he met Juliet, the existence of Cain being an exception here. "Okay, Jules," he said softly, a smile playing around his lips.

He took a few steps to the door when he heard her mumble, "wait, what time is it?"

"Seven," he said.

"Mhmhm okay," she yawned. "You can leave now, if you want to."

Alex thought, but I don't want to leave, as he opened the door. "Good night, Jules."

"Night night, dipshit," she mumbled.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .