Wilmington Prep

~Louis~

I pulled away from the girl who was clawing a hand up and down my chest, pawing at me like I was a piece of meat. Granted, I was basically no different than her, but there was a slight difference: I knew when to back off, she didn't.

She got the idea and backed away from me slowly as I surveyed the people around me at my table and the table directly to my right.

There were four regular commoners at the table directly to their right but I tolerated them because they were actually pretty great people, but only the people of highest echelon could sit at this table-the security guards made sure of that for logistical reasons as they were the ones with my family's permission to be closest to me. The rest were as close to royalty as one could possibly get, and then there was me.

Kara, the girl currently on my arm, was of noble birth with easily forgettable features but a nice enough demeanor, and then Jessica was born a baron but her family fell out of favor. William was Jessica's brother and they looked every bit almost identical had it not been for their different genders, and then there was Edmund, one of my very distant cousins, but he was born out of wedlock so he wasn't in line to the throne like my other cousins were.

And lastly there was Henry, the darkest of all of them and most certainly the outcast of the group despite being the one closest to the throne despite myself. He was My cousin on my father's side, making him the next person in line to take over the throne if something happened to me since his father, my uncle, had already passed away and Henry was his only child.

He kept to himself and was always a bit moody and unlike me he was never found in a precarious position with other females, putting him in a better light with the paparazzi despite his darker nature and always wanting to draw within himself regardless of the many trainings that were mandatory for the both of us to attend because of our duties.

The four commoners were Elizabeth, or Lizzy, Robert, Raina, and Mary. There were more females than males that surrounded me at our tables and for that I was happy, until they all started complaining at once and then I tried to tune everyone out.

"Did you hear about the Spencer's finding out they had a long lost granddaughter out there?  Apparently, Lady Penelope Echols ran away with an American commoner and had her in a marriage that wasn't approved of. She died and now the daughter is coming here to live with the Spencer's and she's coming to school here!" Jessica squealed. Literally squealed.

I rubbed the space between my eyes to ward off the headache that was sure to come from the unnatural noise that came out of her mouth.

"So what? Who cares?" I asked them, not seeing the relevance.

"You've been in your own little bubble lately, haven't you?"

I just shrugged a shoulder at them.

"The Spencer's are the only living family left that could possibly have a legitimate claim to the throne that has no relation to your family. It has something to do with Mary Queen of Scots a long ass time ago but- whatever it takes too long to explain. Anyway, this new girl has even more influence than we do, the only person who comes close is you or Henry," she said to me and I quirked my eyebrows up in surprise.

"Maybe she'll be enough to please your grandfather, Louis. God knows none of the other girls you've ran around with has," Edmund teased me and almost all of the girls that I had a past with turned their heads sharply at Edmund in anger.

"What?" he asked them innocently. "It's true! The King doesn't approve of anyone for his grandson, not even almost royalty. Maybe he was just waiting for someone like her to come along," he said, defending his words with his hands up in mock surrender.