Chapter 30

Dedicated Chapter Song: Home - Daughtry

No, I think you got me all wrong.
I don't regret this life I chose for me.
But these places and these faces are getting old.
So I'm going home.
(Rika/Anna)

Present Day, Marley

Present Day, Marley

Rika laughed softly at her daughters as they rushed down the street towards the bakery, Aurora giggling loudly while Valentina groaned that her sister was dragging her.

"Aurora, slow down," said their mother. "But they just got a new shipment of macrons from France, Mama!" Aurora whined. "I have to try some! Val ate them all last time."

"Tch. You were being a whiny brat." Val rolled her silver and gold eyes. "So I ate them to teach you a lesson."

"Oh, yeah? Well, don't be surprised if you find worms in your cereal!"

"Girls, settle down," Rika snickered just as the Parisian bakery came into view. "we have time to get sweets. No need to fuss over it. We don't have to be at the hospital until later today."

But Aurora became quickly distracted by a sudden crowd of injured soldiers walking in a line behind one of the Marleyan generals. "Come on, this way." he groaned. "Sheesh, can't you even walk straight?"

Valentina approached the man beside one of her and Aurora's friends Falco. He was a young boy, slightly older than them with short shaggy blond hair. "Mr. Koslo," he spoke, a certain shakiness in his voice. "Are they injured soldiers?"

"Stay outta the way, forehead kid," said the grumpy man. "These are the Eldians that got PTSD out there. They ain't got relatives to boot. They're going to get treated at the hospital here."

"In this country, too?!" Aurora gasped, having ran over to a man with one leg and perhaps one eye. His hair was sloppy and practically covering his face, and his beard was scruffy and unkept. But something about him Aurora felt compelled to stare at.

“Apparently it happens when you have 'em digging at the trenches too long at the front. Ya know 'cause of all the bullets and the bombs flying in like hwooo— BA-BANG!” screamed the pain, sending the veterans into a state of panic and mass hysteria.

(A/N: I bet you guys are sick of that word by now XD)

Aurora gasped and quickly ran to the man she'd been eyeing curiously, as he'd fallen just like the others due to the panic. “Are you alright?” she calmly asked over the panicked screaming. “Calm down, okay?”