Chapter three

For the longest time, Tom only knew what it was like to be controlling, demanding and overall cruel. He ran the biggest mob in all of London so the boy didn't have time for fun. He couldn't just go bowling with his mates on the weekends or spend the early hours of the morning in a pub, downing unacceptable amounts of alcohol, no matter how much he wanted too in the earlier years. His life consisted of keeping a straight face and keeping everything under control. The only thing he hadn't had control over was you, and now that he'd met you he doubted you were the type to go ahead and submit to him.

Over the last couple of days, he'd learnt your schedule, he'd worked out typically what time you got out of bed, ate your meals if you ever visited the library etc and he worked out how to dodge you. It wasn't that. No, he definitely wasn't a fan of this at all, despite the flirty, confident front he put up. There was something about you but Tom was not prepared to get off of his high horse just yet.

Shutting the lid of his laptop and shoving the pens back in their holder, Tom looked up at his father who had been patiently sitting on the other side of the desk for the last five minutes, waiting for his son to finish whatever important business he was attending.

Tom could easily remember being a kid, sitting behind his father's desk and watching the way his father acted. Taking in exactly how he spoke to his men and dealt with those that did him wrong. He would sometimes sit downstairs eagerly, waiting for his father to finish a meeting so that he could learn all about it, who did them wrong or if any new deals had come up. His parents use to say that Tom was a born leader, always taking the front stand.

But Tom also watched how his father interacted with his family, around Nicki and Dom had tried to teach his son that there was a line between work and family. There was a time and place to be closed off, and there was a time and place to be loving. So he didn't understand how his son had turned out so stone cold.

"Tom, you have an important event coming up and I was hoping you'd take Y/N" Dom ignored the way his son tensed. "She hasn't left the house since she came here days ago" He truly did look up to his father, but sometimes he wondered why.

Dom fiddled with one of the objects Tom kept on his desk. Tom favoured his office, it was secluded, a room that he controlled who could come in and out of and one that he preferred to spend most of his days in.

Tom shrugged, wanting to try and end the conversation as quickly as possible but with his father, he knew that this could be as long or as short as he desired. "She can leave anytime she wants."

"With what, Thomas? A car?" Dom knew he was right, the poor girl didn't have any sorts of transportation, despite Tom probably owning one or more too many cars. "Take her out, get to know her and who knows, maybe you'll hit it off"

"What happens then? We live happily ever after like you and mum?" Dom flinched slightly as Tom stood up, smacking his hands down on the desk. "News flash, father, Y/N and I were forced together because of a stupid contract that we couldn't worm ourselves out of, you and Mom fell in love"

"This girl is really making an impression isn't she?" The tension in the room was unreal and it made Dom nod because in one way or another, you were getting to Tom. Whether it was frustrating him beyond the point of acceptance or slowly making your way into his heart. "What's going to happen when we need someone to take over the mob? This job was given to you, Tom. Not Sam or Harry. It's your job to keep it going, don't forget that I can replace you with one of them with the snap of my fingers."

"We're not talking about kids-"

"You had years to prepare yourself for this, boy. Years to sleep around and do whatever the hell you wanted but it's real now, You can either accept her and make this girl a part of your life or pretend that she doesn't exist, make her just another person under your roof and live a miserable life." He stopped there, deciding that it was too soon to tell Tom about the other part of the contract.