#4: History

One of my favorite topics! :D I love coming up with fictional history. But some of you might be writing a world in alternative history, or even real history.

Fictional history is where you come up with the history of the world from scratch.

Alternative history is where you take, for example, the fall of the Soviet Union or maybe the building of the Egyptian pyramids of Giza and switch some things up. Essentially, it's the same, but mostly different. Maybe someone who died, actually lived. Or maybe some magical sorceress had a hand in a war and it was all magic that did it.

Or maybe it was dragons? :P Dragons be the fall or rise of everything in our history. That's how it is. Yep.

For real history, basically, you have a fictional character doing fictional things in a real historical setting and timeline. Maybe you created a fictional soldier battling in WWII. Everything that happens is historically true. The only fictional part is the soldier being there, and their life.

============

Did you come up with a fictional history for your world? Maybe you went alternative? Or used a real historical setting?

If you did, how far back did you think about?

For "how far back", you can think to the beginning of time if you want to. Or, you can think as far back as you want in order to figure out the plot of your story. As an example, for the longest time, I had only come up with the historical timeline of Elgana as much as I needed for my story. No further back than what was needed. Then, later, I went back and came up with a world-creation story.

===========

If you have not decided which route, go back to #1 Inspiration or go to #27 Era of Inspiration to figure out your setting. Medieval, but where? Could be Europe, but what about Asia? Could be China, but what about Australia or other countries?