t w e n t y e i g h t

|TwentyEight|

|TwentyEight|

The library in question was not difficult to find, considering it was the only one as old as the Earth.

The building was tall, its structure standing as if built from cards. Beige stone built the walls surrounding the Earth-aged knowledge found inside. Upon entering through the chipped brown door, a handful of equestrian statues standing proudly on thick blocks of tortilla stone. Moving into the heart of the library, there was a beautiful sculpture of Lucifer. He was slouched over, his milky white robe draped around his chiselled v-line. His face had never been chipped in- that was always changing, but the artist had incorporated his infamous smirk. The one where his lips stretched into one of those heart-racing, charming grins.

"Uh," Aggy said, remnants of a scoff in her tone. She was looking the statue. "He is everywhere!"

***

An hour later, Tiel was balancing on the seventeenth step of an old wooden step ladder we had found tucked behind one of the few dusty desks in the large room. Her lower lip was tucked underneath her straight teeth as she traced her finger over the many book spines looking for anything that would help us. Aggy was not far away. She was standing on one of the wicker chairs, looking at the books stacked on the lower shelves. Every now and then, her focus would drop the wicker chair she was standing on and pause as if accessing whether the object would break under her weight.

I was safely on the ground. Skimming through a hefty stack of old newspapers, they provided more dust than everything and every few minutes I would pull away to cough and breath in some air before returning to the stack of dust and dirt. So far nothing had been found until Tiel called from the step ladder.

"I think, I think I found something!" Tiel said excitedly, waving one arm to grab our attention. She was holding a thick, heavy-paged book, the cloth cover - dark basil. She switched her weight, balancing the book on her knee as she slowly adjusted herself and leant her elbows against the side of the towering bookshelf.

Aggy looked across at her, her face glowing with relief. "Have you? That's good because I don't even know what I am looking for." She shut the book she had been flicking through and slotted it back into its place in the wall. Jumping off the weak chair, she moved over to where Tiel was standing high up. "Well? Are you planning on telling us? Or do you want us to guess? Because I don't know about Charmeine, but I'm shit at guessing."

Tiel scowled down at her impatient friend and traced the words with her finger as she spoke, "Throughout history, there have been many misinterpreted myths. The most famous surrounds the abandonment of the Fates. The Fates are a group of elite, secretive Angels who will stand forever in power until time itself experiences its last second. The Fates control a select amount of Angels who, by using the Fates power, are groomed into the perfect weapon and tool. Each Angel has been gifted a destiny. However, the fate given is not to strengthen the individual Angel but to strengthen the Fates overall power. Only with every set of rules, there is always an exception. It is said to be that the Angel of Harmony cannot be changed; therefore is not able to become a weapon or a tool for the Fates. The Angel can only be contained and suppressed but never changed. He or she will possess the power to unify followers of Light and Dark and create harmony among the realms. Once the unity between Light and Dark has been achieved - the Fates will be able to harness the Angel's power. Unfortunately, thus far no Angel has been branded with the title and has been successful in their quest. Therefore, the Fates must search the Earth for a possible solution. The combining of the two key forces is an urgent, mandatory matter. Without it, the Fates will not be able to stay in full power for eternity."