~27~

Edited

Reminder: The previous chapter has been edited. A few changes have been made. If you haven't read the edited version of the previous chapter you might get confused.

~~~~~~~~~

He said midnight.

"Meet me outside at midnight."

I still remembered his words clearly.

I checked my watch for the hundredth time. It was half an hour past midnight and Hunter was nowhere in sight.

I checked my phone hoping that he'd left me some sort of explanation but there was nothing.

I shook my head.

He stood you up Scarlett, just accept it.

I felt pathetic standing alone outside my house waiting for Hunter when he clearly didn't give a damn about his commitment. He probably didn't even remember that he promised to meet me.

What is wrong with me?

Why do I keep doing this to myself?

Giving him the benefit of the doubt and then getting disappointed again and again.

I slowly made my way back inside my house. My father was away on some business meeting so I was alone for the night.

I trudged to my room and flopped onto my bed.

I tried to stop thinking about Hunter but I couldn't.

He hadn't changed. Nothing had changed.

And it hurt.

I couldn't believe he still had that sort of power over me. A single action of his could still make me feel utterly broken. I'd promised myself that I'd be strong, that I couldn't let someone affect me this way but it seemed like I was still the pathetic little girl from three years ago.

I had trusted him and that was my mistake.

How many times did I have to get hurt before I learned my lesson?

Why couldn't my heart just let go of him?

~~~

My eyes opened slowly.

I must have fallen asleep. Something had woken me up.

Then I heard it, distinct tapping on my balcony door.

My eyes darted to my alarm clock. It was past 2 AM.

I groaned.

There was only one person I knew who used the balcony instead of the front door.

I could see his silhouette standing outside in the dark.

I sighed and got out of bed, making my way towards the balcony.

"What do you want Hunter?" I hissed.

I heard his soft sigh. "You're that mad?"

It was pretty dark out so I couldn't really see his face.

"Was that some kind of sick joke to prove that I'm an idiot? Well, you made your point. Now get out." I was surprised at how even my voice was.

"Let me explain." He pleaded gently but I cut him off.

"I don't want to hear anything. You had your chance it's too late now. I'm not kidding, you need to leave Hunter. Now."

I turned away from him and walked back into my room.