Chapter Twenty-Four

Renata woke up to the sound of the front door opening to the flat, instantly waking her up and placing her on alert as she attempted to sit up

Renata woke up to the sound of the front door opening to the flat, instantly waking her up and placing her on alert as she attempted to sit up. The last thing she could remember was falling asleep on the floor beside James as she watched Harry perform his puppet show. But she found herself relatively puzzled as she tried to sit up and found Harry sound asleep on her chest. Suddenly, she felt at a lost with what to do because it was a rare occurrence that Harry was the last in the household to wake up. However, as she moved her head up, she saw that it was James returning from wherever he had gone that morning.

He was already dressed, a couple of bags in hand as if he had done some shopping, and there was a smile on his face as he approached the sofa. She probably didn't realise at the time that her hair was an absolute mess at the time, but she seemed to fit right into the hairstyle of the household. Despite James smiling at her, there was still a sense of worry that fluttered in her chest, hoping that everything was alright with him. It seemed that James was capable of hearing her thoughts as he made his way to stand behind her.

"Everything is alright," he reassured her as he leaned over the back of the sofa, looking directly at her. Suddenly, it felt like her throat had grown tight as she met his gaze, she had yet to say anything, fearful that she would punch him in the face with her morning breath.

His smile seemed to grow in the absence of her talking as she stared at him" I ended up waking up before you two and decided to head out for a little bit, I hope I wasn't the one to wake you."

"Uh, no," she said, keeping her head directed downward as she spoke, " I was just waking up when you were coming in, so no harm was done. I just didn't want to move because I didn't want to wake Harry."

Her voice trailed off for a few seconds as they both peered down at Harry, who remained asleep, his eyelids fluttering as it appeared he had entered some sort of dream. Every so often, his lips moved, forming a smile and his body would jerk lightly in laughter. Whatever his dream was about, it seemed to be a good one. Renata looked over at James, wondering if he was taking in the precious moment, only to find that he was still looking at her.

She was sure she was blushing heavily, she could feel the warmth of her skin, especially all over her face as she quickly averted her gaze. There was something about the way James looked that morning that was giving her sudden heart palpitations as she tried to adjust her breathing. She didn't even realise that she had been holding her breath for so long until she started to feel the aching sensation in her chest.

"Er, would you like me to get started on breakfast, Mr Potter?" she asked, not bringing herself to directly look in his direction. But out of the corner of her eye, she could see him look away when she addressed him.

"No," he answered after clearing his throat, " I can manage that with no problem. Actually, I want you to open this."

Just as she was about to question what she was supposed to open, Renata suddenly found an envelope in front of her face causing her to jump lightly. Of course, she was rather confused by the presentation of what appeared to be a letter, but she carefully moved to grab it without disturbing Harry. There wasn't anything on the front that said it was addressed to her or that it was from anyone else, so she could only assume that whatever was inside was more than likely from James himself.