Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Jennifer." I call while softly knocking on her door. I hear a low mumble inside and wait, hugging my arms close to my body. They must keep this hallway at the temperature of the arctic.

The door swings open and an unusually casual Jennifer stands in front of me with an apologetic smile. And when I say unusually casual, I mean really casual. The only time I ever see her is during filming, so she is always in costume with her hair and makeup done perfectly. Now, her dyed hair is pulled up in a bun and there is no makeup on her face whatsoever. She has on a Kentucky University basketball jersey, which must belong to Josh. She gestures for me to come in and I do, sitting in a chair by the table.

"So what happened last night?" She asks while standing at the bar, stirring something into a steaming cup.

I shake my head, tears beginning to fleck my eyes at the thought. Jennifer groans and sits down, setting the mug in front of her.

"I asked you to come over here so we could talk. Now talk." She demands while taking a sip of the liquid. She grimaces slightly before shaking the tea bag that was sticking out.

Tea. Hot tea. Alexander.

Alright, so maybe my thought process over the past twelve hours isn't going so well. Every time I think of anything, my mind always brings me back to Alexander. This always leads to me getting way too upset, so today hasn't been the best so far.

"Um, well, I just found out that Alexander was cheating on me this whole time with Leven." I say, my mouth feeling dry with each word.

Jennifer raises her eyebrows and then knits them together in confusion. "You and Xander weren't even a thing I didn't think?"

I put my head in my hands, an ache beginning to come on. I shake my head. "We aren't-weren't. But, it just feels so bad, you know? That even though he technically wasn't mine it feels like he was."

Jennifer nods her head, sighing and staring down at her hands. I suddenly feel sick to my stomach and just want to lay down. The ache in my head becomes a throb.

"Are you okay?" Jennifer asks. "You don't look so good."

I laugh lightly. "I don't look good, I don't feel good, I'm not good at all. I'm not okay. He kept telling me that everything would be okay and I'm not okay, Jen, I'm not! It just hurts so bad! It feels like I've had something ripped from my body and thrown in a blender or something. I love him, Jen. I love him so much, but he-he doesn't even care about that."

"He cares about you Isabelle. I know he does." She says with a smile. "The way Xander looks at you isn't the way he looks at any other person. He always gets that weird sparkle in his eyes and he looks down at the ground to keep himself from smiling and it's actually adorable. Sure, the two of you can't really date. But the only one who has to know about it is you two. I can keep a secret."

"Since when?" a voice asks from the door. I never even noticed when Josh walked in. He stands with a tray of something in his arms and a grin spread widely across his face. He wears the same type of basketball jersey as Jennifer, except his is blue instead of white. He walks over to the table, plopping the tray down.

"My world famous brownies." Josh says with a proud expression. He pulls a chair out and sits down. "Um, Jen said you might need cheering up. These always cheer her up so..."

Jennifer scowls. "Since when do I need cheering up?"

"Since forever." Josh mocks. "Anyways, I'm sorry about what went down between you, Xander, and Ian. Jack and I took Ian to the hospital. He was pretty bashed up."