Chapter 24: Burning Bridges

I did not sleep well that night. Hynola and her tribe, the Remsi, were one of the three tribes that grouped to create the Jutes. Their people had joined their forces and slaughtered our own people. I shuddered in my bedroll despite the fire in the middle of the hut making me hot and uncomfortable.

Asmund snored gently from across the room. Usually, that alone could put me asleep, but not tonight. I turned on my side, away from him.

She didn't kill any of us. She and the people currently in the village were innocent. I reminded myself. They didn't even know of the attacks upon Asgard, the ones who left the tribe was our target.

Even as I spoke these attempted reassuring words I felt uneasy. Even though we and the Remsi made a peace deal, I did not trust telling the group what I had learned.

I would not tell them that we slept in our slaughterer's beds.

~*~

I rose with the sun like the rest of the warriors. Asmund left before I did, most likely already at our designated meeting spot. I nibbled on a slab of flatbread before meeting with our group in the horse stables. When I approached, Orgnar, Heskell, and Volstagg all had stoic and grim expressions on their faces. I supposed they didn't want to leave the village. It was comfortable, safe, and cozy- but alas, we had a mission to complete.

To my surprise, Hynola was up and leaning against the crooked fence post in the corner of the stables. Her face was soft and relaxed in the dim lit sky. If anything, she looked like a mother waving off her children in a way. I gave her a quick hollow smile and she returned it.

Orgnar grunted and tightened his horse's saddle straps. Heskell, Orgnar, and Thor all met silent gazes before Orgnar spoke.

"Lady Y/N, Lady Sif, Loki, and Asmund," Orgnar said lowly, straightening up from his bent position. "Ride ahead of us, scout out and get a head start, do not turn back," he ordered. Orgnar turned his attention to the two foot soldiers who stood at attention next to their beasts and motioned for them to mount their beasts. They sat on their beasts, awaiting Orgnar's next orders.

"And the rest of you?" I asked. Orgnar would not meet my eyes as he hopped onto his beast.

"We will bring up the rear. We have reason to believe there is another tribe beginning to circle the village," Orgnar huffed. "If we spot them we will diminish the threat before being reunited." I nodded my head and mounted Bjorn with ease. I adjusted myself in the saddle, happy to be back on him after too long. Bjorn stamped his feet below me, eager to run as well. I patted his thick neck which was soft and shiny. He had been well groomed indeed.

The rest of our group mounted their horses with the same relaxed expressions and feelings of being back on their trusty steeds. We looked to Loki who was high atop his deep black and grey horse, Oldavi. Being the next commanding unit in line after Orgnar and Thor, we waited for his own commanding. Some looked nervous at the sight of Loki's stone set face, others, such as I, were calm and ready for his most likely sensible command.

"Ride forth," Loki said stiffly. "We will stop when we have spotted the rear scouts. Until then, we do not look back for we risk missing any hints or clues to ambush. Lady Y/N , you will ride the formation behind me when we split. Lady Sif and Asmund, follow in the back formation, creating a diamond shape. It will allow more visibility." We nodded, understanding the formation technique. We flicked the reins on the horses' bridle in unison, sending the horses racing off.

The village began to blur around us as we galloped out. The sound of the horse's rapid hoof beats ricocheted off of the huts and trees but the sound was drowned out by the ever-growing wind picking up. The sun was beginning to rise over the horizon behind us, creating odd shadows and silhouettes.