Chapter 20 - Ranking Gods

After turning in the completed quest, we walked back to the inn and paid for another night. It was still daytime so instead of eating at the inn we decided to take a look around the different shops in the area.

The street was crowded with people and there were stalls almost everywhere to our right and buildings to our left. It was different from the Vessaga kingdom as it looked more rural and there weren't any company owned buildings but rather most businesses here were owned by families. It also seems like the people are friendlier and get along better than humans.

"Hey, Des! Look at this!" Fiora brings me towards a stall where there's some food being sold. At first glance it seems like your everyday food stall. But there is something else. The food being sold, is legendary. Smoked Settail Fish.

I've only heard of it. Settail Fish is an extremely rare fish to catch and can only be found in the most dangerous lake of the continent. Lake Suploca. This lake is surrounded by multiple rank S and higher monsters and is known for drowning anyone who falls into it.

Survivors who have traveled to the lake said that there was a golden fish that lived there. Hundreds of them. But they know when there are people trying to catch them. That's why they are so rare. Only royalty have ever eaten them and ever since people have been spreading rumors about the legendary fish.

"H-how..?" I let out a sound of surprise. The reason why is because there's no one around the stall. The stall looks ordinary but has such extreme food.

"Come on Des, although we might not have enough money for it, I still want to see it! The chances of seeing one is almost never!" Fiora was now trying to drag me over there. Eventually I just give up on comprehending the absurd reality that is life and walk forward.

When we walk towards the stall, the owner, who seemed bored stood up and started smiling as we advanced.

"Hello there! What may I do for you on this fine evening." The owner said as he stroked his beard. He was wearing some simple clothing and had some large muscles. He had some bear ears and narrow black eyes that matched his black hair. The beard he had was was long, thick, and magnificent. It was a godly beard that seemed perfect in every way that even the dwarves, who had some of the most amazing beards would envy. This man was obviously one to be respected.

"Hi, may I know how much the Settail Fish would be?" Maybe I can get it if I gain some more money. Well wolf quests should be reserved for us if we're lucky but we need some others as well.

"Ah, that. Nah, no need. All you gotta do is to sign your mark here." He takes out a wooden tablet and places it in front of me.

My mark? Does that mean a dark moon for me? It could be. But wouldn't that be too easy? If it's that simple why haven't people gathered around this place? They could make up a mark.

"Who are you? Selling Settail Fish for no price?" I question him, there's no way someone would sell something so valuable at no price.

The man looks at me while raising his brow. "You mean you don't know me?" After a few seconds his face lights up as if he was just given a pet manticore.

"Ah! You're new borns! Now it makes sense." He says while clapping his hands.

"Allow me to introduce myself, I am Hasginal, Bear God of Fishing!" He says, bowing his head down like a performer.

Another god!? How many gods are there!? Are we all over the place? And here I thought meeting Fiora was a low possibility.

"You two must be new borns, or new gods. Let me explain to you what's happening. You see, there are many gods out there that use their power to become famous among other gods. We have five tiers of gods and different kinds of gods as well. I'm a tier 3 god, which means I'm well known and important. We gods are given our importance by mortals, and if we are recognized by higher ranking gods, then we can be brought up as well.  We start off with a ranking depending on how well known our powers are. A tier one god would be very unknown depending on what they're the god of. Since fishing is important, I started as a tier three and if I can get the marks of many gods, while at the same time becoming famous, then I'll become tier four." He said while posing like he's a genius, his hand on his magnificent beard. "So, if you want I can tell you what tiers you are based off your god mark. Also, you're probably wondering why mortals can't see me, that's because this stall is meant for gods. That's why I asked you what your marks were."

I see, that explains it. Wait, that just brings another question.

"Then let me introduce myself, I am Dessyr. This is my friend Fiora. And I have a question for you, how can she see you? She's a mortal." I won't tell him who I am unless he's just trying to trick me.

"Ah, that. Since she is with you then she probably has already received god vision. God vision is given to mortals in certain occasions. First, a mortal starts by being in the presence of a god that has a favorable opinion of you, or by receiving their mark. Afterwards the god has to choose whether or not to allow them to sense godly aura. Only this way can one receive god vision." He says while rummaging through his stall. After finding what he was looking for, he brought up a book and set it in front of us.

"By placing your hand on this book, I can find out what your god mark is, along with which god has granted you god vision. By doing this, I can give you some Settail Fish." He gestured me to place my hand on the book. Well, no point in not doing it.

When I place my hand on the book it starts flipping through different pages until it arrived at the last page. In it, it showed a picture of a dark moon like my necklace, and some words as well.

————————————————————————

The Dark Moon,

Symbol of The God of Death and Darkness.

Current God: Dessyr Drako Modra Zer

Importance: 100%

Fame: 1

Tier: 5

————————————————————————