Chapter23: Liam3

The next day.

I couldn't have my mothers' talk out of my head. It consumed my mind and all my actions. I didn't do much of action anyways, I just stayed home and ignored all the work and calls I got.
I needed time to process everything.
I've always thought of them as family, I looked up to Mr.Harris like the father I never had and Nicholas as my own brother since I spend my childhood with him in the same house.
This small detail, of knowing that they're in fact my own family. Changes a lot.
I first needed to hear Mr.harris' side of the story.
So I got dressed and left to his house. It was just my luck that he's still in the country. He leaves tomorrow to the UK.
I parked my car outside his mansion and hoped he's at home not out. I ring the door and at the door greets me the maid who worked in the house, I asked her if Mr.harris was home. She said she'll go check, and asked me to wait.
She came back soon and told me I'd find him in his office upstairs. The way to his office never felt long like it did today.
I tried knocking at the door but it was slightly open so I let myself in. There, he stood with his signature glass of rum. When he saw me he signaled for me to sit in the chair opposite him with just a little table between us.
I sat.
"How are you feeling today?" I ask him calmly.
"I'm good, I just have a lot in mind" he answers taking his time dragging words. This was always his way when he talked.
"I know everything" I stated while looking straight at him.
"What do you know?" He was unfazed.
"That you're my real father"
He missed a blink and his eyes were just fixed on me for a moment there. He then put his glass of rum on the table. And sigh.
"It's about time you know" he started.
"Why did you keep it from me?"
"Because I didn't plan for this to happen and I didn't want to lose the family I worked hard to keep." He paused "trust me I felt guilty, and you were in my mind all the time, no matter what I did. It was either I hurt you or I hurt my wife and Nicholas"
"So you didn't care about me?"
"I did!" He raised his voice.
"I never once made you feel any different from Nicholas" I couldn't disagree. Come to think of it he always treated me like his own. But...

"But when it comes to work? he is the heir and I'm just an employee" I stated my thoughts.

"That's not how it is, you can talk to my lawyers about it. You have in fact as much power Nicholas has. You own 50% of everything I own. That's your legal right"
I wasn't expecting to hear that. He remembered me. He never forgot about me.
"I'm sorry I didn't talk to you earlier about this" it was the first time I hear Mr.harris apologize about anything.
"At least now I know" I say, and then remember to ask about Nicholas.
"Does Nicholas know?" I ask.
"He still has no idea, don't tell him anything, I have to break this to him myself" he looked after saying that.
I'm sure he thinks he might lose a son although he just won one.
"Don't worry, we're in this together and there isn't much to be done about this now" I reason.

"He needs to at least propose, it needs to happen before I tell him the truth, can you still help with that?" He asks.
"I'll do my best" It was time for me to leave.
"I'll be leaving now, good night" I got up.
"Good night son" I paused there for a second then proceeded leaving the room. Just before I closed the door I heard him say " I waited so long to be able to say that, I'm sorry"

Talking to my dad cleared up a lot of things I was always worried about, regarding both my past and future and the future of the firm.

Now I need to take my plan seriously. Nicholas has to marry Delilah and the sooner the better. And if I can't stop him from following Isabella then I'll distract her and keep her away from him.
It didn't help that her sister left, it would've worked great if he would just propose now.
Agh! I just shuffle with my hair and picked up phone.
Seconds later she picks up and I hear her voice.
"I was wondering if you were interested in going out with me ?"
That's how I phrased my question. Not the best but I have so much going on at the moment.

I went straight to Nicholas after this. It was late already but I needed to talk to him.
I called his driver and he said he dropped him at his house. So I went there.
I had an extra key to the place, I needn't calling him.

Up in his room, I find the door locked so I knock. Seconds later he opens the door.
Saying he looked tired would be an understatement.
"What happened to you?"
"I don't know, I'm messing things up" he answers.
"What did you do?"
"Isabelle caught me with a girl this morning"
I didn't expect this.
"Was this why she was crying earlier? I thought it was because of something you said" I say truthfully.
"I don't know, it was all because of her"

"Because of her? Man don't you have any control over yourself, how did you let yourself be caught?" I was angry, but at least now the idea of being with Bella is off his mind.

"I do have control over myself and that's why it wasn't her in my bed" now I know what he meant.

"You can never let this happen again, and just take Bella out of your head, this os serious"
"You know I met Bella before Delilah so why is this even an issue?"
"She doesn't want you back and your father is expecting a wedding soon, this is not only your private life but business" I tell him and put my hand on his right shoulder "Pull yourself together man..." then it hit me
"You don't love her do you?"
"No of course I don't man!"

That was the answer I wanted to hear and the one I got.