Chapter LXI - Onwards and Upwards

Tem and Fendur then Anlai and me — that's how we rode out of Canton. Overtaking the steady flood of southerners was an easy feat on horseback, and once we were through the gates, we turned right where everyone else was going left, leaving wide-open road stretching as far as the eye could see. It was the road north.

At first, the white stallion stomped and chewed at his bit. Amber kept pricking up her ears, worrying at the noises. He didn't like being behind Fendur's gelding, but he settled down when he realised that Anlai wouldn't let him overtake, however many tantrums he threw.

"Nice horse," I muttered at him.

"Yes, he is," Anlai agreed. "I would have preferred a darker shade, but this one does show the blood nicely."

He had specks of Freedrik's on him now. Anlai was adding to it drop by drop because he was bleeding under his armour. He would need medical attention sooner rather than later.

I scoured the surrounding hills. "Where did you leave Melia?"

"Right here," he replied haughtily.

And even as he spoke, I spotted a flash of movement through the trees, and a pair of horses joined our group. Glyn was riding the first one, his scowl less prominent than usual, and on the second was a Sapphirean girl wearing a delighted smile.

"Lyra," she exclaimed. "Gods, what happened? I'm glad you're alive, of course, but you look like you were trampled by a horse."

"I just need a good wash," I muttered, returning her smile. "Most of it is dust."

Melia nodded uncertainly, and then her eyes landed on the man behind me. "And you ... are you well?"

"Well enough," Anlai told his wife. "Did you see the battle?"

"We watched from the ridge. I didn't think it would be over so quickly."

He shrugged. "We got lucky."

"Lucky? It wasn't a fair fight. You had ten times their numbers at least," Glyn called. He didn't sound impressed. I wondered briefly how many battles he had fought in— Oh, wait. I already knew. None.

Tem reined in Nightmare to walk beside us. He must have been listening "It was civilians against trained soldiers. And there were boys your age who fought and died with us while you sat on your arse, Glyn, so I suggest you choose your next words carefully."

"I wanted to help. You're the one who made me babysit," he spat back.

"Because as you have repeatedly proven, you aren't ready. War isn't a game. One mistake and you're bleeding into the dirt."

Suddenly, Glyn went quiet. His eyes shot up and down the group, and he turned in his saddle to look behind us. "Where's Colloe? And Eirac and the others?"

Tem kicked Nightmare on, his intervention seemingly finished. Anlai stared stormily ahead. Fendur had never looked back in the first place. And without anywhere else to turn, Glyn threw me a questioning look that bordered on pleading. I shook my head and picked up Amber's reins and nudged her into a trot to catch up with the others. He could work it out for himself.

And perhaps he did, because he didn't say another word. We traversed two valleys, trying to leave Canton behind both physically and mentally. Playing follow the leader didn't require much attention, and I soon let the reins dangle between my fingertips, crossed my stirrups over Amber's neck and let the swaying motion of her walk lull me into a sort of waking sleep.

After nearly half an hour, we were riding over a hill that was carpeted in ferns. Most grew as high as the horses' stomachs, and it was a constant struggle to keep them from snatching mouthfuls. Tall white flowers dotted the greenery. And there was even a river curling lazily around the hill's rim, the water slow and crystal clear. It was a beautiful place — too beautiful to exist in Anglia, in my opinion.