Chapter 30

Jameson

I woke up in a daze, feeling more out of sorts and bewildered than every before. My eyes feel heavy despite being asleep already for God knows how long, and my whole body feels this weird sensation I've never quite felt before. It's not quite an ache, more like I'm almost lifeless and unable to move with ease.

My mind is in a blur, unable to recall anything that happened before I...blanked out? I honestly can't remember without thinking too hard. I look down at myself, taking note of the eerily cold hospital room. Is Kyle here? Has he been in here to see me? I hope so...

My body breaks out in shivers, fighting to gain any warmth I can from the already cold room. Was the room even cold? Or is it just me? I couldn't tell. I felt like groaning to emphasise the discomfort my body is presenting me with, but I wouldn't allow myself to.

Is it selfish of me to want Kyle here with me? I mean, unless it's late, he'll still be at school with his jock friends, being the typical jock I know he's secretly not.

Attempting to sit up was a difficult task I wasn't prepared for. As I lift my head to look around the room to call for someone, a shooting pain rushes through my neck as I quickly rest my head down once more. Breathing also seems to cause me pain and discomfort, and once again the desire to let out a pain filled groan takes over. This time, I don't fight it and let out a groan which represents how my body is in pain and simply feels weak.

Seeing as the room to my door is open, a nurse must have heard my grunt and comes rushing in seconds later.

"Good afternoon Jameson," she greets, a sickeningly sweet smile present on her lips. "How are you feeling?" She brushes a stand of hair that's fallen loose from her bun behind her ear, checking the monitor I'm hooked up to beside me.

"Pain..." I just about manage to answer, shocking myself at the sound of my rough, hoarse voice. It sounds like I need to cough, but I don't. Like my throat needs clearing but there's nothing there.

"Right, okay that's completely normal to feel discomfort or pain following the event of strangulation." She speaks, eyes scanning over mine as she rests her palm on the bed side.

Strangulation? I don't remember being strangled or injured at all for that matter. Feeling annoyed that I'm of no use to myself for remembering the events leading up to me being in hospital, I let out a sigh.

"I'll go grab you some pain relief, okay?" She smiles, briefly resting a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"K-Kyle," I cough, stopping her from leaving the room.

Confusion covers her features as she begins to shake her head. "What's that, sweetie? Kyle? I'm afraid I don't know who that is." As she speaks, it's as if she's trying to recall of a person with that name from her memory. Unsuccessful, she frowns.

"M-My boyfriend..." I struggle to form a sentence, and go along with explaining the briefest of words, hoping she'll understand.

"Oh!" Her face lights up, eyes shining as she remembers. "There was a young man here earlier for you. He refused to leave you. One of our members of staff walked him down to your room, he wasn't even in here five seconds before he fled, and we haven't seen him since." She explained clamly, all whilst keeping the same smile printed on her lips. I frowned, looking down. He didn't want to see me. I just drag him down as much as I do my father. He's had enough of me...

"Uh, I'll be back with the pain relief." The dark haired woman excused herself, pulling her clipboard closer to her chest before leaving the room.

I felt stupid for wanting Kyle to be here the moment my eyes opened. Of course he wouldn't be here when he saw me. I hadn't even seen my face, but even just looking down at my body I know I'm far from being in shape. I felt skinnier than ever before, my neck pulsing with pain as I tried to keep myself still. My skin was paler than usual, my arms covered in bruises from where they'd poked at me to do whatever the hell they needed to do to me. Of course he wouldn't want me, not when I'm this much of a mess.

--- 1 week later ---

I've been home for a week now, and oddly, there's been no sign of my father at all. I would say I'm worried, but the only thing I'm worried about is him coming home pissed, needing a punching bag for his temper.

In fact, the past seven days have been lonely more than anything. Kyle hasn't contacted me, and I haven't seen him to be given the chance to strike up a conversation. I've left texts and voicemails, but I gave up after three days. He clearly doesn't want me anymore.

Maybe it's for the best, he hasn't exactly treated me very...fairly in the past. Maybe I just like the attention he gives me. Is that why I accepted his kisses and hugs right after he treated me so poorly? Was I really that desperate to feel something close to love that I never get at home?

As for Piper, I figured we haven't hung out in awhile. Of course I see her constantly with the few classes we share together, and we always have a laugh and joke around, but I haven't seen her outside of school in weeks. However, once I mentioned the idea to her, something clicked and she lost it, rudely declining the offer but not before shooting unnecessary comments my way before hand.

The weekend is coming to an end, and as usual I've done nothing too productive. My bed has been the one place I've spent most of my time, resting up and sleeping as much as possible. It can't be any later than six in the evening when a knock sounds at the door, me stirring from underneath the warmth of my bed covers.

I couldn't really ignore whoever it was however, seeing as the main door to the place is still broken from when whoever found me unconscious kicked it in. I've had to make do with placing a plank of wood over the crack in the glass so far. If dad hasn't returned since before I was in hospital like I assume he hasn't, then I doubt he knows it's even broken - which the blame will more than likely be put on me when he does return.

Opening the door, I feel my breath hitch in my throat as I find myself face-to-face with none other than Tyler.

"Uh...hi?" I force a smile, eyes avoiding his at all costs. Tyler isn't exactly my favourite person, and I know I'm not his either. So, why is he stood at my doorstep, a stern look covering his features?

However, he doesn't return the hello. In fact, the boy seems just as frustrated with me the last time the two of us had an encounter and that really wasn't pleasant for either one of us.

"So, you're talking to Kyle now?" He pretends as if I didn't greet him like a decent human being would do, instead going right in to ask what I'm assuming he's here for.

Not sure what the correct answer would be in regards to his reaction, I pause for a moment as I think on the spot. I can sense Tyler becoming inpatient as he shifts his weight from one foot to the other, and even as he places a hand on his hip as he rests it there.

"Today would be of help, Williams." He groaned, head rolling back as he continued to wait.

"Yes, I speak to Kyle, why?" Surprised I managed to not stutter, I let out a silent shaky breath. Why is Tyler here, asking if I speak to Kyle anyway? I mean, Kyle isn't speaking to me at the moment, but why has Tyler appeared at my place when I haven't even spoken to him? Why couldn't he ask at school if he's that desperate to ask?

"Well isn't that cute?" He mocks with a forced grin as I take a step cautiously away from him. "Look, just remember you can't be happy forever." And with those final words, he leaves just as quickly as he showed up.