|12|

Cassie picked up the phone in her office and continued tapping the stylus against the screen before her, adjusting the carbon levels on the new prototype she was designing.

"Talk." She said sharply, listening to the receptionist swallowing heavily.

"Doctor Rochester, there's someone who has come to meet you."

"I'm busy."

"He says he's come a long way for you."

"This does not change the fact that I'm still busy."

"He says it's urgent."

"And my work is far more important. If it's that guy with the space company sent him to the VP."

"No, it's not."

"Tell me who is it and stop wasting my time."

"He says it's a surprise."

Cassie groaned and placed down the stylus. "It's Hamilton, right?"

"Yes, Doctor Rochester. He wants to come up. Should I allow him entrance?"

"Yeah, why not? I've talked with too many stupid people today another one won't hurt."

~ ~ ~

Cassie pressed her glasses further onto her nose and modified the aerodynamic vortex on the prototype. She cleared her throat and put down the stylus waiting for the results to appear on the screen.

Lewis' smiley face appeared on the door and Cassie looked up for a moment and then back on the screen.

"Don't look so happy. People are generally shitless when they walk through that door. That's why I keep it open."

Lewis chuckled and walked in. "Can I close it?"

Cassie tilted her head to the side glaring at the offices around. It was lunch time anyway. Maybe she should let them have a moment of relaxation.

She shrugged. "Yeah, why not. They've been performing perfectly today."

Lewis closed the door looking at her. His hand was suspiciously held behind his back and Cassie had only to worry about what he kept there. He pulled it from behind his back and smiled at the flowers. Cassie huffed.

"Rose Begonias?"

"Yeah, they kinda remind me of you."

"Flowers."

"Yeah,"

"You brought me a dead thing."

"Their flowers. Don't you like flowers?"

"On their pots, yes. Like this they're going to wither and die in approximately four days."

"I thought you'd be happy."

"I'm not a simpleton."

"Aren't women supposed to like them?"

"Most. But honestly, men bring women flowers only to get in their knickers because women are generally too daft to see that they've been given a dead thing."

Lewis rolled his eyes. "And what am I supposed to get you?"

Cassie tilted her head to the side. "Honesty. Faithfulness. Equality."

Lewis smiled and approached her. Placing the flower on her desk, he moved around and looked down at her. "I think I found myself an angel."

Cassie rolled her eyes. "More of a demon, but suit yourself."