Chapter 28

The Dream Jumper's Promise- Final Chapter

Chapter 28

As the plane descended on the west coast of Maui, Jamey searched for Tina's house below, not sure what he was looking for. Ambulances? Fire trucks? Nothing unusual stood out, but when he located the clay roof, he noted Noble's truck in the driveway. Funny, but it had always been there, even when the man was supposedly at work. Which he never was, because he was confined to the house. Why hadn't Tina noticed that? That, and the fact that Noble only ever appeared at her house. Never at the shop. He didn't know how clinical denial worked; maybe she rationalized all that too.

Jamey prayed the whole taxi ride over that Tina would be safe, both physically and mentally. If she wasn't, he didn't have a clue what to do next. If they'd taken her, or killed her, he imagined himself entering a dream and finding some way to make them pay. He hoped if it came to that, something was possible, because he didn't want to live his life without her now that he'd found her again.

The day he'd met Hank, Jamey's first thought was that this was a guy he could hang out with, look up when he came to Maui. They'd been standing in line at the bank, struck up a conversation, and realized they had something in common—diving. Hank was an avid surfer, but his new girlfriend was an instructor and had just certified him all the way to Dive Master. "So now, I'm a hot shit diver." He was doing a dive that night with his friend Noble for octopus, if Jamey wanted to come along.

"Sure!" Jamey loved to night dive.

"We'll meet you at the Honolua Store at seven. Get in the water at dusk. Bring a light though, man. Those things are stuck way in the cracks." Hank grinned at Jamey like the fun would never end.

When Jamey jumped in Hank's truck at the rendezvous, he was puzzled. "Your friend meeting us there?"

"Nah. He couldn't come. Just you and me, buddy." They sped up the road to Slaughterhouse Beach, parked and trekked down the steep hill to the water.

That night they got two octopi, and Hank said he'd give them to his friend to make ceviche for them. If Jamey wanted to come over to the house, they could "have a few beers, shoot the shit. My girlfriend might be there, but she's cool. I just moved in, so we haven't gotten to the nagging stage yet," he'd said.  They'd laughed.

But when Jamey drove his rental car up to the house, he'd known. Kristina was the girlfriend. This man was the skeleton from the dream. He stopped the car at the top of the lane and thought about what to do. He couldn't go in there, see Kristina. For one thing, it would be too painful, and for another thing, he'd promised to walk away from this woman.

Hank met him in the driveway. "Hey, my buddy is on his way with the beer and limes. The girlfriend is on a night dive, so we're good to go." Hank's smile was infectious, and Jamey found himself nodding.

"Nice house you have." Jamey couldn't help himself.

"The old lady is loaded." Hank shrugged. "What can I say?"

At that moment Jamey knew the man standing in front of him was up to something, maybe after the money, or at the very least motivated by the money. Jamey had to fight to look casual. "A rich scuba instructor?" He tried to grin.

"Rich family." Hank moved in and whispered conspiratorially, "And she's really cute, which is a bonus."

Jamey had an idea of what was going on here, and his lip almost curled in disgust. "Ha. Nice. Hey, man. I actually came over to tell you that a woman I met this morning wants to meet me for a drink." After what Hank just said, Jamey knew he'd understand choosing that over a beer with some guys. "So I can't stay, but thanks again." They shook hands and Jamey retreated from Kristina's life for the second time in eight years.