Queens and Kings- VI

My journal laughed wildly within its bag beside me. I had half the mind to yell at it to shut up. But, of course, that might draw the eye of the students who wandered the hall. So instead I pressed my hand cautiously against the bag while I gazed upon the posters that I passed.

Apparently I really was rubbing off on Karri; this felt like something my cynical hand would do. But it was her work that adorned the school halls; it was her work that decorated the thoughts of every student today. And it was her work that rolled off every tongue which flipped and turned within these sheep's mouths.

And it was beautiful.

Again, I felt my journal turning and chuckling. Where my art would never be seen, Karri's mapped the school's corridors.

"Did you take a picture yet? This is too funny!"

"I'm putting this on my facebook. Should I tag them in it?"

The laughing ensued around me. Each conversation, between different students, was all the same. Perhaps it was from this noise that I had disillusions it was my own inner demon who laughed along. But in the end, it didn't matter. All that mattered were the posters that plastered our walls.

And truly, they were more than beautiful.

My eyes fell forward. I took slow steps to my locker as my ears scoured the breathing students around me. They talked about the posters, some reactions they've seen from the catfish, but none about who had done this. And many of them questioned each other in hopes of finding out the creator. I felt ease in knowing Karri had yet to be found out.

My fingers encased my locker dial and I titled my head as the combination turned within my palm. Before she even said anything, I knew she was next to me. "Al?"

I glanced to Karri and smiled; "You're famous."

She frowned at my words and crossed her arms, "Not me, not famous. No one knows it was me. Right?"

I shrugged, but then laughed as her eyes widened. "No, not that I've heard, Karri." I assured her softly. I could see the relief in her eyes before she finally allowed herself to laugh.

She shook her head now and began opening her own locker. "I think I printed too many. The reaction is more than I expected." She chuckled. "It's on everyone's lips. And not even just once- it's all they can talk about!"

"Sheep;" I reminded her, "nothing more than glossy blank eyes, and a mouth to baaww endlessly out of."

She rolled her eyes but nodded; "Tell me about it. I'm just glad we don't have first period today! I have Michelle in my English Class, and I am not feeling too keen on seeing her reaction."

I smirked slightly but nodded, "I have Ashley in Mr. Hastens' so I won't see her until tomorrow too." I frowned slightly as I thought about my classes, "And we won't be in Jackson's today either now that I think about it...."

"Oh Alys, are you actually pouting because you aren't going to get to see their immediate reactions?"

I narrowed my eyes at her, but I couldn't lie, "I wanted to see their smiles. I wanted to see them bluffing as they tried to laugh it off. For once, I'd like to see these masks that are created out of embarrassment and anger, than of prejudice and bigotry. You forget, they made those outrageous posters. You've merely labeled them- nothing more. What you've done is highlight their actions, not change them. I want to see their faces as they regret stealing the spotlight for their own selfish pleasures, thinking no one will find it anything but god worthy."