Entry 28

13th August, XXXX

It's been more than a year since I left Arerin. I have been travelling the world this whole time. 

But at the same time, Sebastian seems to be following me around the continent. I confronted him about that, but he said he was just paying visit to his neighboring countries. All very innocent, nothing suspicious. As for meeting me, it's all just 'coincidence'. 

If it's all coincidence, then why does he bring me a gift every single time he meets me? The gifts are still the small pieces of jewelry that look like a part of something bigger. A trinket with a mirror on the night of the Night Market, another piece embedded with stones that have the same shade of pink as the petals of the flowers I was viewing. Under the trees with glowing red leaves, he gave me a piece with a huge ruby...

Now that I think of it, I feel like I am travelling around the continent with Sebastian, but not by myself. In every single famous attraction site in every country, it's filled with memories of Sebastian and I. 

I gave up confronting him when I met him frequent enough. Once I finally asked him if Arerin was alright with a King that went missing every few weeks. He shrugged in reply, as if I was asking a stupid question. Maybe our country is falling to parts because of a lazy King. 

As for the pieces of jewelries he kept giving me, I tried assembling it, but it's very apparent something is missing. I guess the final product will form something circular. But what? A necklace?

"Liana. Found anything interesting yet?" Sebastian walked towards me and placed his coat on my shoulder. 

"And I was wondering when you would show up. Here you are!" I gave him a teasing smile.

After so many encounters, we now interact like friends. Sort of. 

Today is the start of Astria Festival on Coral Cliff. During these few days, the stars sparkle brighter and shooting stars may also be seen if you're lucky enough. Furthermore, if you're extremely lucky, you may catch a glimpse of mermaids.

Legend has it that mermaids from all over the world return to the capital of their Kingdom during this week each year. The capital of their Kingdom is incidentally near Coral Cliff. The stars shine brighter because of their magic. 

I don't know how many people believe in that legend, but that is enough to attract people. As proven by the whole island being packed with tourists. 

"You have a lovely villa, your majesty. The private beach and the building itself." 

"It's yours, not mine."

"Sebastian, you know you don't have to compensate me. Breaking off the engagement is what I want. You have compensated me enough. You gave me back a life and another chance to find what I want." 

I am thankful enough. I died, but Sebastian gave me my life back by reversing time. He let me go to let me see the world. I am thankful.

"Liana, are you happy now?"

"What do you think?" With a small smile, I closed my eyes to enjoy the cool breeze. 

"You were not happy then."

I opened my eyes and turned my head to look at him. Sebastian was staring into the sea, deep in thoughts. 

"No, I was not." 

"You hate me."

I looked down and tugged at the sleeves of my dress. 

"Maybe I did, but not now. It's hard harboring hate."

"Hate comes from love." He said after a while, "Am I so disappointing?"

I continued tugging at my sleeves and refused to look at him. I believed I had put down everything, hatred, feelings... but had I really put down everything? Then why is my heart still aching? Why were tears still threatening to spill out? Why do I feel bittersweet whenever I thought back to my days as Queen? Why does my heart skip a beat whenever Sebastian does something touching? Why am I feeling a bit disappointed whenever he does not show up during my journey? 

"I... You... you betrayed me. Why did you never ever tell me anything? I trusted you unconditionally, time after time. But what did you repay me?"

Tears were threatening to spill. 

"Lord Bentley's power allows him to spy from afar." He lifted his hand and started to gently wipe tears away from my face.

When had I started crying? 

Do you think that explanation alone can erase every single betrayal? But why was my resolve already weakening? 

"Liana."

I looked up. His eyes were the color of ice blue. But at that moment, the shards of ice seem to melt a bit. His emotions were no longer guarded behind a wall of ice. Guilt and sorrow could be seen.

"Liana, I am sorry. I am sorry for not being able to protect you. I am sorry for abandoning you in your room by yourself. I know you were unhappy and alone, but I did not rescue you. It's all my fault. I thought I could solve everything before it's too late. I thought I still... I still had the time to cheer you up and stay by your side after everything was resolved. I am so sorry, Liana. Forgive me." He was hugging me. His head on my shoulder. He hugged me tighter and tighter with every apology he uttered.

If only he hugged me once when I needed someone to save me from my depression in my previous life. Would I be less broken now? 

I snuggled closer. In the end, I still yearned for his warmth. Even though the warmth I was yearning for came a life time too late. 

And the stars were shining brightly above our head. 

----------------

Author's note:

These two finally communicate for once. Can Sebastian redeem himself? Can Liana finally forgive him? Stay tuned for the answer :D

I hope you enjoy this chapter!

The story is nearly 42.8k! One step closer to my goal 50k! Thank you everyone for reading and voting! Love reading your comments! (I also hit 1k followers today!)

I am currently writing my next story which is also a companion story. A story set in the same world. Can you guess who is the main character? That character appears in the past entries XD

Here are the covers I have made, do tell me which one you like more! As for the title, it's still temporary. I'm really bad at thinking names... I might actually use it if I cannot think of a more suitable one. 

Now which cover do you prefer?