Chapter 55

Previously

"Who is it?"

I shrug and open the door. Behind that door I find something I was definitely not expecting.

"Good evening, we are looking for Alexia Louise Smith?" a police officer asks

Now

"Uh, that's me?" I almost whisper

Jayden gets closer and puts his hand on my back.

"What can we help you with?" Jayden asks the police officers

"Are your parents' home?" the woman asks me and I shake my head

"No, they aren't. But this is my brother who's 18"

"Okay, that works as well"

"This could take some time, is it okay for us to come in?"

"Uh, sure" I say and me and the boys make way for the three officers to come in

"Would you like something to drink?" I ask them and two of them nod their heads as the other one shakes his head

"Yes, coffee please," the man with dark brown hair says

"A glass of water please," the woman who has red hair says

"You must be wondering why we are here" The other man with blond hair asks as they all sit down on the couch

Mason walks back in with the drinks and places them in front of the officers.

"You might want to sit down as we tell you this"

I knit my eyebrows, getting more and more confused. I sit down, following Jayden and Mason's movements.

"We have been working on a case against Caleb in secret"

My breath hitches in my throat and Mason tenses beside me.

"I'm sorry?" Jayden asks

"Our chief ordered us not to tell anyone, because he was afraid Caleb would find out and run away or harm you again"

"So when we went to the police when Alex was kidnapped, you weren't doing nothing, but you actually were working on a case against him?" Mason asks, searching for answers

"Yes, that's correct. We got orders to keep quiet about it and we also went undercover a few times. When we found out where Caleb lived, we were asking for a search warrant, but before we could get one, you guys found Alex and the search warrant got declined, seeing that there was no reason to search his house anymore. Or at least that's what the person who decides that thought"

"We asked again and again for a search warrant to look for evidence and finally we got it and could start building a case against him. We found multiple things that can be used as evidence. And now with the incident that happened in the park we have even more evidence. But to have a solid case, we need you to testify against him. I know it's a lot to ask, but the chances of him going to jail are way higher if you testify against him" the man with black hair tells me

"And what if Alex doesn't want to do that? Does the case against him still proceed or does it stop?" Jayden asks

"The case will still proceed, it's part of the law. But if Alexia decides to not testify against Caleb, he will most likely get 2 years most or maybe even get away with a warning or probation. If Alexia decides to testify against him, he could face 20+ years in jail for attempted murder, sexual assault, abuse and more"

The woman turns towards me and gives me a sweet smile. I give her a small smile, but soon my expression turns back to a worried one.

"If I decide to testify against him. What will happen if we lose this case?" I voice my thoughts

"Caleb will be free to go wherever he wants and the case will be dropped"

Free to go wherever he wants. That means only one thing for me; he will get revenge. And I don't think he'll care if he kills me or not this time.

"So if understand correctly; if I testify and we win, Caleb could go to jail for 20+ years. If I testify and we lose; Caleb goes free and chances are high that he'll get revenge on me. If I don't testify, he'll either get a warning and will be free to go or he'll faces 2 years in jail?"

"We can't promise you those numbers, but this is what we expect yes. If you testify the changes of winning are 75%, 15% of Caleb getting a lower sentence and 10% of us losing. If you decide that you don't want to testify, the chances that we'll lose the case are 45%, the chance of Caleb getting a lower sentence are 35% and the chances of us winning are 20%"

"We'll give you a few days to think about all of this. It's a lot to take in and the process of the trial will take a lot of time and energy. The judge will ask things that maybe no one else knows or that you're not ready to tell and only you can say if you're willing to talk about everything. It's all your choice"

They get up and drink their drinks before shaking our hands.

"Thank you officers, I will think about it" I smile. Jayden and Mason walk with me to the door and we let the officers out again.

"Just stop by the police station if you have made your choice. You can ask for 'Marielle Winters'" The woman gives me a card with her name on it and I take it from her

"Okay, I will, thank you again" I smile and they excuse themselves

I close the door and lean against it, sighing deeply. I bite my lip and look worriedly at Jayden and Mason.

"What are you thinking about?" Mason asks me

"I just, I don't know if I should testify against him" I mumble

"What? Why not?" Jayden asks confused

"If we lose the case, he'll be free to go wherever he wants to and knowing Caleb, he'll get revenge and will do worse than he has ever done before"

"But Lex, if you don't testify against him and they lose the case, Caleb will be going free as well and will probably be coming back as well. The chances of us winning the case are way higher if you testify than when you don't"

"I know that, I just, I also don't know if I'm ready to tell everything. There are things you guys don't know about and I don't know if you want to know"

"You don't have to tell us if you don't want to, but the judges are going to ask you to tell them everything. It's indeed something you have to think through" Jay says again

"It's your choice Lex, we can't help you choose. Think about it for a couple of days and then go with the choice that feels right" Mason adds

This may be a way to kind of avenge everything that Caleb did, not only for myself, but also for Jayden and Connor.

I smile and pull them in a big bear hug.

"Thank you so much guys"

"Don't stress too much about it, ok?"

"I won't" I smile at Jayden, who is making amends to go back upstairs. He smiles back and skips up the stairs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days later I find myself grabbing Jay's car keys and opening the door to go to the police station. I walk outside and quickly check the mailbox.

Huh?

I grab the envelop with my name written in elegant handwriting. I open it and read it through carefully.

My world stops for a few seconds and my mind goes blank, when I read the name at the end of the letter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, the police is taking action! Let's hope it all goes well ;)

Sorry to keep you waiting for so long! I hope it was worth the wait :)

Next chapter will be posted on monday! :)

Comment, follow, vote, give a star, idk, do whatever :)

-X- ChocolateHusky44