1.9

Kai brought the rest of the food to the back of the resort. Even before he reached the back he could hear loud laughter and singing. Once he got close he yelled through the door.

Kai: "Come get it before it's all gone you crazy lot!"

Silence.

The door suddenly slammed open and a crowd of people ran to the pile of food. Interestingly enough despite the limited space, Kai was able to move with ease. Inside he saw they decided to choose the playroom as a common area while rooming three people together. There were more than enough rooms to give each person their own private room but they lived relying on each other for the longest time they felt uncomfortable living alone.

Kai walked up to group watching in the back.

Kai: "How has everyone been adjusting?"

Adrian: "They really enjoy staying here, this place is great. The vantage point allows us to see any approaching dangers, there's a lot of resources nearby not to mention a unlimited source of seafood, and the structure of the building makes it to modify if needed."

Bryan: "This base is already well known for not allow others to take advantage of it."

Chris: "Plus there's so many traps to keep out outsiders and zombies! Of course we'll add our own special brand too~."

Dylan: "So what was the owner like?"

Kai: "He's an innocently naive yet powerful young man who strongly believes in being self-reliant. He's not used to displays of affection and company so it would be best if you can make sure everyone doesn't meet him all at once."

Dylan looked sad: "I wonder what his story is. I've seen a lot of parents throw their children into the jaws of a zombie or using kids as slaves or sex toys. Everyone is too busy trying to survive to care."

Kai nodded in agreement but what he didn't say was he also wanted them to stay away because he didn't want them to know how interesting he found Misha. His reactions and behaviors provoked a feeling in his chest that he wanted to explore without prying eyes.

Kai: "There's a lot more of us so while we are staying here we will provide the necessary provisions and give a small portion as rent. The owner has control over the utilities and the entire front end of the base. For now the only communication with the owner will be through me, don't attempt to contact him without notifying me first."

The four of men nodded in agreement. If Kai says they shouldn't contact the owner then that means they can't contact him. Even if they are burning with curiosity and wanted to meet the mysterious man who single-handedly set up an incredibly reliable base, Kai exuded an overbearing pressure that they usually saw when handing out orders on the battle field.

During normal times Kai would radiate a calm and warm aura but when he was challenged he let out such a powerful pressure that normal men couldn't breathe near his vicinity. Luckily he found extraordinary commanders who could stand the pressure and carry out his orders, easily coordinating with the normal members.

Adrian: "By the way, did you ever find what you were looking for? Ever since the apocalypse started you have been very anxious to get to the harbor. Can we finally see what all the rush was about?"

The three others looked up in expectation. The four of them have been with Kai for a while and rarely saw look anything but calm. It wasn't until recently they felt an anxious vibe with an occasional burst of rage rolling off him, although if you asked the other members they wouldn't notice. He kept it hidden but those close to him could feel the difference.

Kai: "I'm not sure yet but I expect I will know soon."

Chris raised his arms in the air: "Well whatever it is you can trust that we will destroy anyone who tries to touch it! Including 5 generations of their families. Hehe~"

A dark aura enveloped Chris as he quietly laughed by himself. Accustomed to the sight, the other four left him to ferment in the corner.

Dylan: "I second that."

Adrian: "Yeah, leaving aside the dramatic 5 generations thing, we second Chris's sentiment. No matter how valuable the thing you're searching for is, we will stand by you and protect your treasure."

Bryan: "Agreed."

Satisfied with their answer he sent them to eat dinner. They didn't run over but you could see the spring in their steps, after all they were the ones to get the ingredients so they knew whatever Kai made it would be comparable to a five star restaurant! What's more since they reported directly to him, Kai would save them the best parts.

Kai watched his group eating together and only felt shallow satisfaction. He noticed the satisfaction he felt when he fed Misha and the way he felt when he fed his group differed. He wasn't sure how or why but it intrigued him to know he felt more for someone he met recently than the group he nurtured since the start of the apocalypse.

He decided he didn't need to think about it so hard. As long as he interacted with Misha more he should know his answer. That was the reason he decided to stay here in the first place. With some hope in his heart he left a few orders to lay low and relax. Hearing the news everyone cheered. It had been a long time since they were able to take a break. Leaving them to do whatever they want, he headed back to learn more about the base's mysterious owner.

[FLASHBACK]

(Wyatt's POV)

[Happy Birthday dear Misha~ Happy Birthday to you~]

[Thank you for being born]

Kai: "Oh? It's his birthday I should have brought a gift. How old will he be this year?"

[?!!!]

A barrier around Misha's prone form was immediately activated.

(How's that possible?! I didn't sense anyone within the vicinity, no one in this world should be able to avoid my detection! I need to keep Misha safe.)

Kai: "No need to be so guarded I don't intend to hurt him."

[Yeah right like we haven't heard that before.]

Kai: "I'm serious. I just want to live here for a while. This place is pretty spacious and we won't even have to see each other if you want. In return I'll help defend this place and gather resources, what do you say?"

[Wait. You, you can hear me?!]

Kai: "Loud and clear. So what's your answer?"

(What is he? Is he truly an inhabitant of this world? I don't see a system with him so he isn't an ordinary transmigrator. He's an anomoly.)

[...there's no need. We can gather the materials ourselves and this child doesn't like being in the company of others. I would like to ask you to please leave.]

Kai: "You sure about that? I don't mind leaving but I've was wondering what all the noise was when I saw the final battle. He might be fine now but if there's another person as powerful as that pile of flesh who can work effectively with their group than he doesn't stand much of a chance."

[Since you were watching you could have stepped in to help!]

Kai gave a helpless shrug. "If a stranger suddenly steps into an intense fight like that and declared themselves your ally would you believe them? I would have just been a distraction and someone to guard against. And from what I can see this guy is pretty individualistic, coming out would have made it worse."

(It's suspicious.)

[You just said so yourself that it wouldn't be hard for you to find another place to live. Why are you so persistent? What's the real reason why you want to stay here so much?]

Kai: "...I don't like watching him get hurt. I've seen a lot of people in my life and I've never met someone as strong yet innocent as this boy. He might be what I'm looking for."

Looking into Kai's eyes. He couldn't read his mind but he can tell Kai was serious about what he said. Perhaps he saw in Misha what I saw the day I chose Misha to be my host.