The Great Pretender

After Rider dropped me off back home, I quickly switched out my blue jeans for a skirt and hurried off to school. Though I knew I wasn't going to be late, I still walked with a brisk stride up the street. However, my lively gait slowed as I noticed somebody up ahead. At the sidewalk intersection, Bonnie stood waiting at the stop sign. She gave me a small wave, and I took the invitation.

"Bonnie, I am so-" I said, hurrying over to her.

"Is he okay?" She interrupted.

"What?"

"Rider. You said he got hurt in the fight. Is he, uh... Is he okay?"

The sincerity in her voice had me taken aback.

"Uh, yeah. He- He's okay," I nodded, "I was being dramatic, and I'm so sorry for what I said."

"No," She shook her head, "I really don't know how he is now. I shouldn't have tried to tell you like I did know."

"Well, I shouldn't have snapped at you. I know you were only looking out for me."

"Yeah, but I didn't even try to believe you. I promise I'll try to get to know him."

"You don't have to that, Bonnie, I know you don't really like him..."

"Well, I don't really know him. And if you're really in to him, I'm gonna at least try to like him."

I smiled at her.

"Thanks, Bonnie."

We continued up the street to the school.

"Soooo," she sang, "What's got you crazy about him?"

"Bonnie!" I exclaimed.

"Oh, don't tell me that "just friends" bit again. You and I both know that is not true anymore."

I scoffed and shook my head.

"He's... amazing," I said, "Just the way he sees things and how much fun he has in life. It's amazing. He cares about so many people, I just... I don't know."

"Well, what dates have you gone on?"

"Bonnie, we're not a couple. I just hang out with him."

"Did he invite you to these places?" She asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"Did it require you to change your clothes before going?"

"Well, it wasn't like..."

I trailed off as Bonnie gave me a smirk.

I sighed, "yes."

"Need I say more?" Bonnie smiled, "So where'd you two go."

I told her about the barn dance again, the train tracks, and the water tower though I still didn't mention the police or the near-fatal run-in with a locomotive. I also didn't mention the kiss either. This whole thing was something she was trying to get used to.

"He invited me to go to the Jubilee with him," I told her as we entered the school gates.

Her step slowed a bit.

"Oh. I, uh... I didn't know he was in to school dances after... uh- nevermind," she shook her head, "What did you say?"

"I said yes," I said.

~

In Human Ethics, I sat down next to an empty chair. At first, I didn't really think anything of it as Rider had to change out of his jeans and the drive here from his house was much farther than mine. But, sitting in his place was a folded-up piece of paper with my name addressed on the side. Confused, I grabbed the small fold and opened it. Inside, there was a letter written.