All I Can Do

"What are you even doing here, Camila?" I question in a hiss when Mom leaves the room and Mama ushers us away from the door in case Oliver finds a way in, not that he can really see right now.

"I came to apologise, I guess. It's all I can do." She answers, looking down at the floor, "I miss you."

My jaw clenches and as I look up to signal Mama to leave, Mom calls her from the kitchen.

"You miss me?" I question when she's gone, and receive a nod, "Camila, you're the one who's been- no, never mind. I'm not going to argue with you."

"You're not?" She frowns, looking back up at me with hope in her eyes. God, we haven't had a conversation this normal for a whole week. I miss her too, but I won't tell her that.

"Not right now." I shake my head, "What happened outside?"

She lets out a little nervous laugh before explaining, "I came to say I'm sorry, that I understand if you don't want me anymore, so I brought you a rose. And, uh, I guess your dad must've seen that because he got all angry and said I was... poisoning you? Like the others? I didn't know what he meant, but then he got aggressive and grabbed me. He said something about you thinking I mean a lot to you and teaching you a lesson."

"Oh my god." I breathe out, my hand finding its way to my hair, "He was gonna take you. He's tried it before, with Cara."

"Take me?" She frowns, "Take me where?"

"I don't know. Wherever he's staying, I guess." I shrug, "I'm so glad I woke up, Camila."

"Yeah, me too." She nods.

My body itches to step closer to her, to close the gap and to wrap my arms around her and not let go, but we still have a lot of overdue communication.

"I'm so sorry, by the way." I sigh, sitting on one of the sofas nearby. She sits beside me.

"For what?" She asks, her tone turning a lot more serious than before when it'd been a little lighter.

"For everything I did. I just... I need to know what I saw." I explain, and she nods and leans forward, elbows resting on her knees.

"I was minding my own business when Harry approached me." She starts, "He started asking about school, and then turned the conversation away from school. I didn't think it was unusual but I didn't particularly want to be there talking to him. I was trying to be polite so I was just smiling and nodding, and then he started touching me. I told him to leave but he didn't, and that's when he kissed me. If you'd have stayed a second longer you would have seen me push him off and slap him across the face, like he deserved."

"Oh." I nod, feeling a little pathetic right now.

"What happened between Lauren and you?" She then probes, looking across at me.

It's my turn to look down at the floor as I begin to explain, "Um... she was singing at a restaurant I and my moms went to and, well, she was flirting with me in the bathroom. I was mad at you because... well, I thought you and Harry had something going on, or that you might've liked it with him, so I went along with her flirting. She invited me to a party and I went, and we got drunk and kissed."

"So you understand why I'm so hurt about it, don't you?" She asks, but before I can answer, Mama comes back into the room and announces that the police are on their way.