22 | The Nightmares

Newt. The name of the boy I love rolls around in my head as I stare at his unbreathing corpse. Blood dries on his green jacket and tears stain my cheeks. It's all your bloody fault! The voices inside my head call out, willing for me to succumb to the pain. If it weren't for you, he'd be in District Twelve right now, happy! But now he'll never breathe again, never talk again. Never kiss you again. Pain tears through my body and I lie down beside him, not caring about anything else anymore. The air turns cold and brittle around me as I breathe.

One last time.

"Y/n! Bloody hell, wake up, love! Y/n/n!" Newt's voice calls out and jerks me awake. I realise he's holding me down, and I was thrashing around in my sleep, sweating and panicking. He slowly releases me when he realises that I'm awake. Pity and confusion are visible in those chocolate eyes. "Love?" he questions, and all I can see are the dead eyes of the corpse in my nightmare.

My only answer is to hesitantly hold my hand out and run my hands along his cheekbones. "You're alive," I murmur softly and I move my fingers across his face.

"Yes?" Newt says, bemused but concerned. He runs his fingers through his already ruffled and messy hair. "Are you okay, love?"

"You're alive," I repeat, and run my fingers across his dark eyebrows.

"What happened?" he asks, and I lower my eyes from his.

"You were dead," I whisper. "And I died with you." My hands run along his soft lips.

"It was a nightmare," Newt says. "Nothing but a nightmare. I'm here. You're here. We're safe."

"But for how much longer?" I ask, my voice hoarse and croaky.

"Forever," Newt replies, and I pause. It's one word. Just three syllables. But its power is infinite. Forever.

"Forever?" I ask, just to make sure.

"Forever," Newt confirms, and suddenly I'm filled with an obscure happiness.

"Thank you, Newt," I say, and I think he recognises the change of subject.

"Anytime, love," he replies, and kisses the top of my head quickly.

"I'm going to keep watch," I inform him, and when he shakes his head, I cut him off. "I can't get back to sleep now, Newt."

"Then I'll stay awake with you," he says.

"But-"

"No," he replies. "I'm staying awake, love, okay?"

"Fine," I grumble, crossing my arms across my chest and scowling. "But when you're tired tomorrow morning, don't you dare come running to me."

Newt chuckles. "Fine by me," he says, "fine by me."

The next few hours seem to pass by in a single heartbeat. Neither of us talk all that much until morning, but I don't mind. His presence is enough. By the time morning comes, I'm sitting against Newt, yawning as my braid falls out of its ribbon.

"Here, I'll redo your hair," Newt offers and takes the bronze ribbon. He begins to braid it again, brushing it through with his fingertips first then attempting to style it again. I take the end in the palm of my hand and examine it carefully. It's better than yesterday's attempt, and still not perfect, but I love it all the same.

"Thanks, Newt," I acknowledge, smiling as I turn around to kiss his forehead, running my fingers along his cheekbones softly. He grins and takes my wrist in his hand. Newt pulls me down so my head is on the same level as his, as he pushes our foreheads together and then connects our lips.