ArShi OS : Virtue of Chastity

Dear Dairy,

Diwali, every person who is desi (Indian) awaits this celebration, unlike me. It was supposed to be my most memorable day. At least I thought so. It has been one but not the one I had ever imagined. I lost him; my first love; my Arnav 5 years back and my Diwali celebration ended forever.

Today he is going to be back once again here in Lucknow, 600 meters away from my house, with his girlfriend, Lavanya. It was a snap from their prom night that I saw few days ago. The girl was all over him. Lavanya, the tall, dusky, sexy woman was every man's dream. My heart started skipped a beat seeing his hand possessively wrapped around her petite waist and then the realization hit me. I was not even close to Lavanya.

"Khushi, where are you my love?", her mother called her.

Khushi quickly slammed her dairy and pulled the drawer to keep it inside. She locked the drawer and tossed the key inside her pocket quickly.

"Oh my love, you are still in your room? Can you please help me with the mithai (sweet)?" Her mother told Khushi while wiping her sweat buds.

"Mamma, what's the need for all these? Do you remember the doctor had asked you not to go to the kitchen? Maa, when will you take your health seriously? I nearly lost you". Khushi hurried towards her mother who was nearly in a fainting state and gather her in her arms. Cupping her tired face Khushi said, "Mamma, you don't need to do this. Anjali Di repeatedly warned you and said that she would arrange for the mithai from the shop".

"It's Arnav's favourite Khushi. He loves my gajar ka halwa, as it reminds him of his mother", she said caressing her concerned daughter's face.

Khushi remained quiet and looked down. Her mother pressed her hand and said, "Khushi, I want you to come to Raizada Mansion with me. Try to forget whatever had happened between you both in the past".

Khushi released her hand and got up. "Mamma, you know it very well that I don't celebrate Diwali and moreover I have moved on from that incident. The greatest proof is he left for US almost immediately without even giving me a chance to explain and he accused me. He said I did not protest when he broke the marriage because I had feelings for NK and all the while I played with his feelings. If he cannot distinguish what I felt for him and my feelings for my best friend then I am sorry we don't deserve each other. I thought our bonding was stronger than anything. But I was so wrong". Khushi turned her back towards her mother to hide her tears, which were threatening to fall". And now I see him happy with someone else. My love, my care, my warmth meant nothing to him", she said and ran towards her bathroom.

**

Arnav checked his watch for the one last time and gazed towards the woman next to him. Her hand looped around his arms and her head rested on his broad shoulders. How he wished her to be his Khushi instead of Lavanya. It was the sweetest dream he had 5 years back when he decided to say those three magical words to Khushi. All his dreams broke into pieces when he got to know that his Khushi choose her best friend over him.

It was Diwali and everyone was waiting for Khushi to join so that they can finally give a proper name to Arnav and Khushi's love. Arnav had a simple platinum band for her ring finger to seal their unsaid, unexpressed feelings. Like a fool he waited, waited and waited and when he finally decided to drive to her house keeping his ego aside for once, he was shocked to see Khushi in NK's arms. From the window it seemed as if they were kissing each other. That very moment he wanted to straggle NK to death. He felt like a fool to think that just like him Khushi would secure her first kiss for him only.

Arnav closed his eyes and wanted to erase her face for the last time but he failed miserably. All their memories came rushing in his mind. How she used to chirp around him? How she effortlessly made him laugh all the time with her antics? How she used to bring jalebi's for him. Initially none of her jalebi's formed a proper shape. But he still used to have them because once when she was 10 years old while making jalebi's she burnt her finger and she cried all day in pain. Seeing tears in her eyes he couldn't bare. He purposely burnt his finger and showed it to her. Forgetting her own pain she started nursing him with her tiny fingers. Then both of them placed their fingers side by and side and laughed thoroughly saying they cannot distinguish between which was whose. That was the very first moment they shared their first hug and Arnav exactly remember how he felt in her arms. She was tiny, a bit lanky but she had motherly warmth in her embrace.