Chapter 12

Joel's POV

Exams would be starting in two weeks time and everyone was getting ready, well, the serious ones I guess because some people are still playing at this crucial time. Though everyone is different. People prefer to read a night to the starting of the exams.

Everyone around the school, juniors and my mates, came to meet me for lessons and all. The Principal even asked me to start tutoring the junior classes because this two weeks were lecture free.

Though I really didn't like the idea of me being the only student tutoring because there are a lot of smart and brilliant SS2 students. Final year students were busy preparing for upcoming exams and all so everything were kept in the hands of the SS2 students.

It was lunch break. My friends and I were all seated at love garden taking snacks and talking. Zaria was seated opposite me and I found myself watching her every gesture. She was talking to Charles about something, occasionally throwing her head back whenever she laughed.

It seemed so serene, so natural to watch her.

I honestly don't know why I'm thinking this way. It has just been few weeks of getting to know the friendly and carefree part of her. And I must admit, I loved this side of her and I wouldn't get tired of seeing it.

"Joel, are you listening to me?" Ada's voice pierced through my reverie and I jerked my head towards her. She was looking at me and she had her hand latched around my arm.

"Sorry, what were you saying?" I asked her and she frowned.

"You were not listening to me. What were you thinking about?" She asked me. I quickly conjured up a quick lie in my head.

"Nothing much. Don't worry it's not important." I smiled at her, hoping she would let it go. Fortunately for me, she did and began to ramble again about God knows what.

The early parts of getting to know Ada, I thought she was cute. Right now, I don't think so anymore. She was a handful, like really handful and very clingy. It was beginning to annoy me but I didn't even know how to stop it. Considering the kind of nature I had, I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I remembered the tutoring assignment the Principal gave me and I decided to bring it up. I used that opportunity to unlatch my hand from Ada grasp.

"I've got something important to tell you guys." I announced. Everyone turned to me.

"What's up?" Taju asked.

"Alright. Guys, the principal and head of departments called me to their office this morning ...." I started.

"Ohhh, so that was why you went out of class this morning when Mr Ndubueze...." Charles interrupted me.

"You guys shouldn't interrupt Joel na. Let him land." Lyla shot Charles a mock glare and he stuck his tongue out playfully.

"Thanks Lyla. As I was saying, they called me this morning and told me to tutor the junior classes towards the coming exams." I told them.

A chorus of wows and congratulations rang through the table and I got few hand shakes and pats on the back.

I looked at Zaria and frowned. She looked.... Unhappy. When she saw she was already caught she quickly put a smile on her face but that wouldn't fool me. Something was definitely wrong.

"Congratulations."She said, her smile faltering a bit. Lyla also noticed the change in her countenance  but she also knew the reason why because she touched Zaria's shoulder. I looked around and saw everyone was looking at her.