5.1

'and now you're my favourite sin, oh, cause i'm either on your side or you're a mile away.'

(yes girl - bea miller)

-

H.

"Haz, come here!"

I picked up my woollen teddy from beside me, clutching my bear tightly to my chest as I wandered out of my bedroom, hurrying down the stairs to where I'd been called.

"There you are, Haz - well, don't linger. Come in here, then," he gestured with his hand for me to come closer, and I did so.

"Where's Mummy?" I dared to ask, as Daddy lifted me up onto the counter so I could kick my legs back and forth. 

"She had work to do, son," my dad beamed at me, "but we have business of our own to attend to, don't we?" 

I gave him a nervous nod. He was happy - weirdly happy, and I knew better than to believe it was genuine.. but I found myself falling for his act, and straight into the trap.

"It's your birthday next week, isn't it?" he asked me, eyes meeting mine dangerously, "what kind 'a presents you wanting, Haz?"

"Erm.." I pondered, nervously chewing on my lip - I knew exactly what I wanted, no doubt in my mind, but I remembered what Mummy had told me last week when I'd told her what I wanted - do not tell Daddy.

"Ah, come on, son," he sent me another smile, and I watched him closely - his smile seemed so genuine, and real - why couldn't I tell him what I wanted for my birthday?

"Well.." I clutched my teddy a little tighter, "I saw a really cool colouring set at the shop in town last week.." I trailed off, as I caught sight of my father's hardening gaze.

"What?" he asked sharply, "you want a what?"

"A-A colouring s-set," I stammered, now wishing I'd listened to Mummy and stayed quiet.

My dad chuckled bitterly, "Are you fucking stupid?"

I winced, "I-I didn't-"

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" he slammed his hand onto the counter beside me, causing me to jump in fear, "you wander around this house like a fucking pansy, with your colouring books, and this stupid fucking teddy," he patronised me, snatching my teddy from my grip as I cried.

"No, Daddy - please! Not teddy!" I was already sobbing, desperately trying to grasp hold of my teddy as he hung it above my head, sneering at me as I whined in despair.

"What, Haz? You want your fucking pathetic little teddy?" he pressed, reaching onto the counter behind him to grip a pair of scissors I hadn't yet seen, quickly bringing them to the fluffy coat of my bear, slicing at it mercilessly.

"No!" I shrieked, "Daddy, please give my teddy back! Stop it!"

But Teddy was already in shreds. Teddy lay on the floor in a mass of stuffing, matted fur and thread, as I desperately sobbed from my place on the counter.

"Useless little prick, you are, Haz," he spat, before shoving me down from the counter and storming out of the kitchen.

My hands and knees hit the floor first, slamming against the tiles with such impact it made me scream in pain, my hands covered in the remains of my teddy as I wept - I brought my knees to my chest, quiet sobs leaving my throat as I remained desperate to be quiet enough to go unnoticed by Daddy.

"Harry?"

I couldn't stop crying as I picked up as much of teddy as I could, desperately shoving the pieces together, overlapping them in hopes they would somehow stick as tears fell from my eyes to soak into the leftover coat.