Chapter 31 -- Playing Cupid and the Fashion Show

HI! HI GUYS! The picture on the side? Made my heart melt. A son feeding his father iftar before he eats himself. Subhanallah!

Adam: I've lost her.

Noha: *confused* Your blankie?

Adam: No! Maysa! I've lost Maysa!

Chapter 31

Playing Cupid and the Fashion Show

☻ Noha Ali ☻

            Looks are quite interesting. Some indicate joy, some indicate grief. Bottom line…there are some looks that you never ever want to see on the face of someone you love. The minute Maysa walks out of the room, I feel the dread start in my stomach. I step away quickly, leaving Zakariya to deal with her for a minute.

            I discreetly make my way out to the patio, where everyone is. The room looks the same, except that now there’s a boy dressed in all black standing by a corner. I slip back to where the walls can hide me.

            I see Rayyan come out of the kitchen. His fingers are nervously tapping against his jeans. “Yo guys. Party’s ending in thirty minutes.” He shouts out. The patio is momentarily quiet until people resume their conversations once again.

            At the end of the hallway, there’s a door leading out to the backyard. I gently turn it and head into the backyard, even though it’s cold and there’s a little bit of snow on the ground. I quickly survey all the people outside. There’s not that many, but at the corner of the house, there are two boys dressed in all black exchanging something. Definitely a drug deal.

            I slip back inside, relieved that I at least haven’t seen Aiden yet. As I’m walking backwards, I slam into somebody, and I immediately know it’s a guy. You know how you can tell that? When you slam into somebody, it’s like you know if it’s a guy or a girl.

            Thankfully it’s only Adam. His eyes are looking at me but I know he’s not focused at all. “We’re going home.” He says with finality.

            “Ok.” I nod quickly. “Where’s May—where’s…yeah, never mind. Do you have the keys?” He nods and holds them up. They jingle, but in the silence, they seem louder.

            I catch myself in time not to shush him. I don’t want him thinking anything is up. “Adam, go get the car.” He nods and begins to go out the back door. “NO!” He looks at me like I’m crazy. “Um…yeah, there’s a lot of mosquitoes and junk out there. Take the front door.” He nods and starts to go through the patio. I grab his arm again. He shoots me a confused look and I quickly go, “Go through the dining room. Less crowded.” He doesn’t say a word, just leaves. I can see his jaw clenched tightly, his back stick straight, and all his actions deliberate and forced.

            I sigh in relief and go back to where I left Maysa and Zakariya. “Where the hell were you?” Zakariya hisses. Maysa’s nowhere to be seen.

            “Where the hell is she?!” I whisper-yell. He gestures towards the bathroom.

            “Look, this is what you do. You go get the car, then I’ll take her over to where you are, all right? Aiden has boys in the patio, and the backyard. I told Adam to go through the dining room. You do the same.”

            I shove him and he takes off. I wait impatiently for Maysa to hurry up. My heart’s beating quickly and my hands are sweaty. I can’t keep still, can’t concentrate.