Chapter 28

Kara’s POV

*

          The brightness from the blue chandeliers shimmered upon my bed sheet as I stared at it, with a certain gut wrenching feeling clenching at the pit of my belly for the umpteenth time today. I had recently told mama that I liked Stephano, even though that certain ‘likeness’ I had confessed was a fake one. When she would get to know that I was dating him, she wouldn’t say much, and she’d just wave it off and say we would see how things eventually panned out.

But I was glad mama wasn’t upset about or judgmental, since she was always one to share her honest opinions. She would surely trust me enough to know I was not doing it because I needed money from him; for heaven’s sake, I had tons of that in my account already. The soft thud produced at my door snapped me out of my disturbing thoughts and my nervousness escalated even further when I caught sight of who had just briefly knocked before entering.

“Oh my, you look beautiful in this dress!” Mama gushed as she sashayed her way in.

She was in a knee length silver dress, the neckline glittering with the stones she had attached to it. This was one of her attires which she made herself early this year and when I sometimes sat to think about mama, I couldn’t help but will the tears that seldom pooled at my eyes.

My mama was talented.

She was talented and really hardworking, never depending on anyone or letting them see her down. I wish she could have established herself when she was younger, but then she’d been a maid just like her own mother and she didn’t have the opportunities I had now with the Alfonsi’s. I was practically a daughter to them.

My mama sang, she was a great author who loved writing novels and she also was also a tailor. Growing up, she made quite some cash out of that talent but she later quit it. She quit it when she wrote her last book, or that was how the story was, according to her. She never got any of them published because the opportunities were slim at that time, so everything just eventually drained her out.

“Thank you mama. Has the flowers been delivered?” I asked.

“Yes, just now. Is the young master back?”

“Si mama.”

I sucked a long breath in. She just asked after him, but I didn’t like how my heart reacted to that.

When I went to his office earlier on, he had hugged me so close to his chest. Such actions were heartwarming in a weird way. It was as if I mattered to him after all. He now treated me with respect, and he had totally stopped glaring unlike how things were before.

“You look beautiful mama.”

“Really?” Hey eyes sparkled. I was glad she didn’t complain to me complimenting her, mama didn’t like people showering her compliments.

She would often say they were sweet talking her.

“Yes, really.” I assured proudly.

“You are also a dazzling beauty. I can’t believe my childr-child has grown so much. You’ll make a young Knight in shining armor proud someday.” She grinned but I could see the shimmering in her eyes. Her gaze was filled with its usual pride as she sized me up, softly tracing her fingers on my red dress and that only tripled my guilt.

This dress was longer than the first one Stephano had ordered. It had a low back and the arms were shorter, with puffs at the tip of the small arms. There was also a slit that ran up my left leg, just high enough to reach the knee.

It seemed Stephano loved seeing me in red. He ordered one also, as well as my black Zara collection of clutch purse, four inches heels and my accessories. Remembering how he had complimented me earlier on had me sucking in a harsh breath. I never knew him to be a charmer and whenever he threw me a breath-hitching compliment, he would always wear a straight look.