Chapter 31

Kara’s POV

*

          “Serve the woman over there, the one in a strapless blue gown.” I hushed to the new house help and puffed air through my lips. The restlessness was heavy around me and deep within me, I knew it.

I needed to do something, to keep afar from wandering thoughts, anything at all.

My mind was still reeling, my thoughts sucking me in though I smiled at everyone who passed me a greeting and some women already introduced themselves as the wives of Stephano’s business partners. As well, they were eager to know how we met and how I had him wrapped around my pinkie, stating that he wouldn’t take his eyes off me all night. Hmph, as if!

My smile was blinding all through, I didn’t allow the pessimism that was struggling within me to take over. The thoughts of whether I would be secure, if I would meet anyone’s expectations, if I would be as beautiful and confident as these rich women that were hanging around.

One thing I grasped onto as if it was my lifeline; because it was, was the fact that I was doing this as a contract. Either ways, I didn’t have to please anyone.

I refused to feel intimidated about myself for any reason. I was unique and special, if to no one, then at least to myself and my mother.
As well, I didn’t bother thinking back to what happened few minutes ago, I just decided to act rather nonchalant.

Just keeping mute and keep yourself busy to stop anyone from approaching you; that was the only signal mama and Adrian ever needed to leave me by myself all these years.

I would brood about life and the challenges it threw my way when I was supposed to be sleeping but enjoy the moment while it lasted, just like I was currently facing one now.

I kept mute.

When he confessed his fake undying gratitude for having me in his life and his mom interrupted, I had kept mute.

When he said all those cheesy things that still managed to thrust their way into my heart like the sharp edge of a knife even though I hadn’t wanted it to feel that way, I’d still kept mute.

He managed to sweep me off my feet during the kiss, staring straight into my surprised filled eyes when his lips touched mine and when he claimed me before thousands of thousands of people. It was now all over the news.

After the kiss, he’d still managed to sweep me off my feet once again and what did I do? Oh yes, I kept mute!

Right now, his hand still hadn’t left my side and his arm was still securely wrapped around my waist in a rather possessive manner.

“I need to see you right now.” Paul told me with a stern expression immediately Stephano turned to shake hands with someone. I did an eye roll and matched his stare, wondering why the usually playful Paul was staring at me with a reprimanding gaze.

We had just escorted Stephano’s two African business partners who came for this event to their car a few seconds ago. I was still dazed about the introduction that had been made earlier on but instead of allowing myself to dwell so much on it, I didn’t bother thinking about it at all, just shutting all thoughts out so they would keep me awake at night.

The investors had immediately given him the contract immediately he finished addressing the guests. They were really pleased that Stephano was serious about me and this had also convinced them that he would also be serious with their deal.

“Kara...” Paul drawled in a frustrated tone, earning a blink from me.

“Uh...yeah, what’s that?” I asked unsurely.
He looked really disturbed with frown lines on his forehead; I had never seen him this way before. He looked around and shook his head.