Chapter 13

Zaria's POV

It's a week to the exams and we have stopped tutoring the juniors to at least get time for ourselves to read. Suddenly the school grew from very noisy to very quiet. Even people that we didn't expect to be reading were reading like no man's business. We were having study groups and class discussions to help everyone.

Exam was not the only thing on my mind. I still couldn't get my mind off what happened last week between Joel and I in the hall. It felt so intense and to be honest I love the feeling of having him close to me.

I have never felt that way towards any guy. Since we became friends, we haven't exactly hugged and that was the closest I have ever gotten to him. What would now happen if we hug... Or do something more?

What the hell are you thinking, Zaria?! I scolded myself.

I faced my book again and tried to concentrate on reading but my mind wandered again. I haven't exactly had a boyfriend. Actually I have never had a boyfriend. Uncle Sam used to be the closest guy to me, well that was before....

Don't remember it, Zaria. Don't! My subconscious said and I listened to it.

"Zee! " A familiar voice successful snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked up and saw Lyla and she looked concerned.

"Hey." I faked a sweet smile.

"Don't give me that smile, okay? It has fake written all over it." She said, folding her hands across her chest.

Damn! This girl reads me like a book.

"Why would you think that?" I tried my best to look natural but my best friend of almost ten years wouldn't buy my fake act. I wonder how she still hasn't seen beneath my mask of perfection.

"Because I have been standing here for the past seven minutes calling your name and you were just staring out into space." She replied.

And now I have been caught.

She sighed and pulled out a chair to sit beside me. "There is something bothering you. What is wrong?" She asked me, concern laced at every corner of her face.

"It's just the exam. I am getting really stressed trying to solve this particular equation." I shoved my note towards her and showed her a random chemistry question.

I'm guessing she would buy this excuse...

She scoffed.

....Or not.

"Zaria, you taught me this exact equation two days ago. You are obviously covering up something. Spill it. I am your best friend." She looked at me with her baby doll eyes. I sighed.

"I've just got a lot of things on my mind, Lyla. That's all." I replied with a tone of finality.

"Something you can't share with your BFF?" Lyla looked slightly hurt.

"Maybe later, after the exams. Definitely not now. Please just let it go." I pleaded with her with my eyes. Knowing Lyla, She would likely forget before the exams even start.

"Alright. If you say so." She finally let it go. "By the way. I saw you and Joel last week in the hall." She added, a sly smirk on her lips. I widened my eyes.

The fuck?!

"You what?!" I whispered harshly.

"Yup, I saw both of you. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me." She winked at me and pulled an imaginary zip through her mouth. I gapped at her.