12 ; crying & oh for merlin's sake not the foot!

SECURE — CHAPTER 12

[ "James, how long?" ]

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

Remus wasn't anywhere to be seen for the rest of that morning.

After he left the hospital wing, Madame Pomfrey came bustling in, fretting over Katie. She had insisted that Katie stay the day in the hospital wing, but after many back and forth arguments, Katie was able to convince her to let her free. Before she allowed Katie to leave however, she spread a few ointments on the slashes located on her arm, and adamantly had Katie drink a healing draught.

By the time she was released from the hospital wing, Katie found that it was pretty early—just a few minutes after six in the morning—so she decided to head to the common room to change her clothes first. Her clothes were blood-soaked and dusty from her escapade the night before; James left a bit earlier to change for the day.

Lily was still sleeping when she entered, her red hair sprawled in a messy blob on her pillow. She didn't want to wake her. Lily was far from being a morning person.

She shoveled as quietly as she could through her trunk, finding the clothes she needed. Attempting to run a hand to her hair, she found that it got stuck halfway through from all the knots, and decided that a shower was more than necessary.

The warm water beat down on her tense muscles, relieving her of some of the tension. Red tinted water flowed down the drain as she scrubbed all the dried blood off her skin. She scrubbed the bubbles of soap into her frothy hair, filling the bathroom with the scent of roses from her shampoo and body wash. She rather liked the scent of the flowers; they reminded her of the rose garden in her backyard.

Stepping out of the shower, a feeling of calmness overcame her. Any negative feelings she had were momentarily muted.

She sighed at her bedraggled appearance in the mirror. Her skin was still paler than usual, and the bruises on her arms from last night were well-pigmented on her skin.

The addition that stood out the most were the three long gashes that stretched from her right shoulder to her mid forearm. The blood was long gone now, washed out.

Instead all that was left was the ruptured tissue of her broken skin. They were permanent, she knew, any attack from a transformed werewolf would leave permanent scars.

"Katie? Are you in there?" The sound of a female voice snapped her out of her thoughts. She quickly finished dressing, straightening out a few hairs before opening the door. A sleepy looking Alice was awaiting. Her short pixie cut hair was sticking up in all directions, and she was still clothed in her pink pajamas.

"Morning Alice. Are any of the girls awake yet?"

"Lily's still asleep of course," she said with a snort. "But Marlene'll probably be awake in a bit."