Chapter 16

All the girls were silent for a few minutes, taking in what just happened. Finally, Jessie spoke.

"Maybe he didn't hear you?" Jessie said, sounding hopeful.

"Of course he heard me! He was right outside the door!" Audrey exclaimed and then threw herself back into the pillow.

After another long pause, Jade started to speak.

"Well, even if he did hear you, it doesn't matter because..." her voice cut off and Audrey distinctly heard Jessie making shushing noises. Audrey looked up to see Jessie trying to mouth out words to Jade. When Jessie realized Audrey was looking at her, she started twiddling her thumbs innocently.

"What are you hiding?" Audrey asked, suspiciously.

Just then, Jade said, "Ohhhh!" loudly as though she had just realized something. Jessie nodded at Jade as Audrey looked on, confused.

"What is going on?" Audrey asked them both, her head whipping back and forth between the two of them.

Both girls ignored her completely.

"But why shouldn't I just...?" Jade said trailing off. Jessie clearly seemed to understand what she was asking somehow and responded with a shake of her head.

Jessie turned to Audrey. "Don't worry about it. Why don't we watch a movie now and forget about my brother for a little while?"

Audrey continued to pester Jessie and Jade for information, but neither of them would budge. Finally, Audrey gave up and decided to just watch the movie.

Hours later, after the movie had finished, the girls were all sitting around, talking.

"So are you really going to ask Mr. Anonymous to meet you at the Sadie Hawkins dance?" Jade asked after awhile.

"I think I will, actually. What have I got to lose?" Audrey asked, repeating Jack's sentiment from earlier that day.

"Well then what are you waiting for?" Jessie asked.

Audrey was confused. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, why don't you ask him now?" Jessie asked, smiling.

"I don't know... it's getting late..." Audrey said, trying to make excuses.

"It's a Saturday night! I'm sure he's still up!" Jade exclaimed, picking up Audrey's phone and handing it to her. "Text him now."

Audrey hesitated, but took the phone. She started to type out a message.

Hey... so I wanted to ask you something...

Audrey showed the message to the girls.

"If he responds to this, then I'll ask him. That way, I won't be waiting up all night to see his answer when he could have already gone to sleep or something." Audrey explained. Both girls nodded in agreement and she sent the text.

Audrey secretly hoped that Mr. Anonymous had gone to bed already. Unfortunately, he hopes were crushed 30 seconds later when her phone buzzed. The girls yelled at her to look at the message immediately.

I'm all ears... or eyes? Either way, go ahead.

Audrey took a deep breath. She typed the message with shaky hands.