Phantom dancer

Kaede had invited Shuuichi to a rather formal party. It wasn't even being hosted by her, she was only there to serve as the entertainment. She just dragged him along since they're best friends and Shuuichi always liked to watch Kaede perform.

Shuuichi adjusted his tie for about the tenth time as he sat in the rented limo. "I can't believe they even gave you a limo.." he said to Kaede and she shrugged. "I guess that's the life of a professional piano player." She said casually like it was nothing. She looked stunning. Her hair was tied up in an elegant messy bun and sparkly pins held back her bangs. Only a long wave of hair flowed on one of her shoulders. She wore a long and slim pink colored dress. Part of the dress was lifted to reveal one leg that was covered by pink ribbon and attached to a heeled shoe. She looked like a princess compared to Shuuichi who just wore a white suit with coat tails that slightly trailed behind him. It looked so bland compared to the laces of Kaede's dress. It's not like he minded, he preferred not to stick out.

As they left the limo, Kaede turned to him. "Oh! And you're going to need this! Everyone is going to be wearing these!" She said as she held a white mask in her gloved hands. "Ah, okay.." Shuuichi said as he accepted it and began to adjust it on his face. He also saw Kaede put on hers too. They both walked into the mansion. It was huge to say the least. The room they walked into had elegant white and gold walls with white floors that had an elegant gold pattern laced onto them. It was filled with people talking. He saw them delicately holding champagne glasses in their hands as they spoke about random things. Everyone had a different mask on their faces.

A middle aged woman approached Kaede. "Oh you're here! Just in time too! Please follow me!" She said excitedly as she grabbed Kaede's hand. The lady's dress was the most extravagant, black covered with silver sequins, and her hair was in a large updo. It was clear that she was the host. Kaede turned and waved Shuuichi goodbye before trailing behind the host.

Shuuichi stood there awkwardly. He had no idea who to talk to, he didn't know a single person there. All he could do is admire the scenery, watching the crystal chandeliers sparkle under bright lights. He slowly walked, managing to blend into the crowd. At least he hoped so. He noticed how everyone in the party seemed to all be older than him and Kaede. Barely anyone looked to be in their 20s.

Shuuichi didn't need to wait long before the lights began to slightly darken. He noticed the stage in the front of the room as a spotlight shone on it. There, he saw a masked Kaede playing the piano. Everyone watched and admired her performance. Shuuichi felt his own tensions fade when he listened to her perform. Just something about her skill just put him at ease. It was comforting seeing her delicate fingers caressing the piano keys and the soft melody that would emit from her handiwork. Then more spotlights turned on as violin players started to chime in. It was creating a soothing and elegant melody. It almost had a romantic appeal to it.

Slowly, Shuuichi turned back to notice everyone beginning to link hands with eachother. Men asking women to dance with them and couples waltzing ever so delicately on the marble floors. Shuuichi suddenly felt a huge wave of unease. He wasn't good at this sort of situation and didn't want to stick out. Then he noticed someone approach him.

Before him was a tall man with green hair. Some of it tucked behind his hair, revealing a glimmering piercing. He wore a black suit and his mask resembled an owl. He held out his white gloved hand to Shuuichi. "Do you wish to dance?" He asked, his voice velvety. Shuuichi didn't know how to respond. He never saw this guy in his life. At least he actually seemed to be his age unlike everyone else.

Reluctantly, Shuuichi began to raise his hand. The man laughed slightly. "Are you nervous?" He asked. Shuuichi awkwardly nodded. The man gently slid his hand into Shuuichi's. "Does that feel better?" He asked. "S-sort of.." Shuuichi replied as he looked away. The man then trailed him away from the stage and then put his hand around his waist. Shuuichi yelped as he was pulled into a waltz. He never did this kind of dance before and kept looking down, trying not to step on his man's shoes.

"It's rude not to look at the person you're dancing with." The man said with a small smirk as he lifted Shuuichi's chin. "Ah, I-I'm sorry.. I'm just trying to be careful.." Shuuichi nervously replied. For a moment, he felt his face go red. "Never waltzed before?" The green haired man asked and Shuuichi nodded. The man reassured him as he kept gliding the both of them across the dance floor. He then began to hum to the rhythm of the soft and slow melody. The soft humming managed to calm down the tensions in Shuuichi. His movements were noticeably slower as he began to relax under the man's arms and movements.

"It's good to see you calmed down." The man noted with a soft smile. "Ah I suppose so.. but why did you pick me? There is so many other women.." Shuuichi then asked, he hoped that the stranger wouldn't find offense. Luckily, the smile remained on the stranger's face. "Well, you looked lonely and you caught my attention unlike everyone else." He replied. "H-how?!" Shuuichi asked, baffled. "Hm.. just something about you intrigued me." The man only briefly responded. What a mysterious person.

The music ended and the lights went back on as the hostess declared that it was now time for dessert. The man slowly unlocked his arms off him. The man began to walk off. He turned around to face Shuuichi and gave him a small wave of his hand. "Hope to see you again!" He said cheerfully and walked away. Shuuichi awkwardly bid him farewell. He then felt Kaede run up to him.

"Did you like my performance?" She asked. Shuuichi nodded and she gave a pleased smile. Then she noticed the confused look on his face. "What happened?" She asked. Shuuichi looked away, trying not to let his face heat up. "A strange man asked me to dance with him.." he briefly responded. Kaede laughed lightly. "Ah don't worry about that! That's normal in these kind of things!" She reassured. He took her word for it.

Deep down, he hoped to see that odd man again. Next time, hopefully, without the masks.

(Ah I hope this isn't sloppy or anything, I wrote this at a restaurant since I got bored and started listening to Cantarella lol)