|CHAPTER 31: POISON|

It had been so long and maybe forever since I had fallen in love.

• • •

Losing his balance, he threw himself out of the elevator, and was greeted with the calm, comfortable view of his floor.

Beer bottles were scattered around in each and every corner in his untidy bedroom, his bed unmade per usual, his window open, letting in slaps of the cold air in.

An Iron Man suit was lying on the couch as if it were perfectly normal, and Dum-E was attempting to tidy his bedroom a bit in the far corner.

Exhaling, he, mournfully, sat on his bed, trying to grasp the concept of the death of his own baby.

His mind went back to Evelyn almost as fast, and he wondered if she felt the same.

If she had suffered just as he was suffering right now, if she was fantasising about killing herself to rid the world of her existence completely.

If she thought that she was doing the world a favour by leaving.

Because he sure as hell feels that way.

What had he done for the world?

Absolutely nothing.

And building a stupid flying machine sure as hell isn't an accomplishment.

A frown slipped its way on his face, and he bit his lip.

He used to be proud of his invention, very proud for that matter, and yet now he only saw it as a distraction.

Merely a solution for his loneliness.

For his insecurities.

For his doubts.

His eyes drew back to the abandoned box on the side, and ever so slowly he walked towards it, and pulled them out.

Their old pictures rested in the palm of his hands, dusty and looking duller than ever.

Her fading smile grabbed his attention first, and then it was her windswept blond hair,  then after that was her gorgeous blue eyes.

His lips were on her cheek, and his eyes were on the camera.

They were both looking extremely stupid, and yet he couldn't bring himself to toss it out.

It was one of the many things he had left of her.

Another picture captured his eye, it was more happier, and it had two extra people in it.

Diana was holding a plate full of food on her right hand, and used her left in wrapping an arm around him, Lucas had his arms crossed, giving himself a 'cool' look as he previously used to mention, and Tony was...well he was wrapping both his arms around Evelyn, who was laughing her heart out, displaying her pearly white teeth.

Their family barbecue went horribly bad that day, and at the end of the day, they ordered some Chinese, after burning everything they had.

"Hey, Stark. How was your day?" Natasha strolled in with a sly smirk on her face.

She just couldn't wait to see his face when she did it.

"Well, I've discovered that I killed my unborn baby today. How was your day?" His tone was strained, and yet he said it so nonchalantly, Natasha almost called him a liar.

Almost.

Because by the way he was watching his old photos with Evelyn, and by the way his eyes shined with that all too familiar emotion known as regret, she knew he was very much telling the truth.

And the truth made her drop the ketchup bottle, and the few straws she had in her hand.

Clearly, the prank that she had organised for him didn't go according to her wishes.

Her mouth was parted, her eyes were wide, and her hands were on her chest.

"W-What?"

He didn't answer her.

He couldn't even bare the look on her face.

The pitiful expression destroyed him, more than anything else.

"I drank today." He told her, despite the fact that he was ashamed to do so.

"You need to stop drinking, Tony." She kneeled down next to him on the couch, and she rubbed his arm.

"I can't. I need it. I don't want to feel this way, Romanoff. I don't want this nagging fear that I'm going to lose her. I don't want to feel the way I do right now." He leaned over to grab the bottle of Vodka, but she slapped his hand away.

"I need to forget. Just for one night, I need to forget what it feels like to hate myself. Let me." He eyed his poison from a distance, and she watched him with so much pain that he could literally feel it radiating off her.

"What happened?"

"We were fine. I swear to god we were fine, and then we were fighting, and then suddenly she was pregnant, and then suddenly she is not, and-" He panted, tapping his right foot on the floor.

"Tony...Calm down."

"And, she said she....Madison said she lost the baby, and she said that she...Fuck this, Natasha. I killed my child."

Shaking her head, she wrapped her arms around him for a few moments, and she let him vent.

She let him let out everything.

And, he did.

And then she did it.

She told him to be strong.

She told him to go after what he wanted.

She told him to go back to Evelyn.

She told him to fight through this like Evelyn had.

And, Romanoff just hoped that he would believe her.

That he would believe her when she tells him that Evelyn loves him.