5. Challenge

[Edited]

I held my breath as I waited for him to speak

"I know we just met... but I want to see you again, y/n."

 I'm not sure what to say in this moment. Butterflies shot through my body, their wings tickling my insides as I let those few words sink in that sound so simple, yet have such a deep meaning coming from his lips. They fluttered around to the point of nausea, reality hitting me like a ten ton boulder. 

'Taehyung.'

"Jungkook, we can't and you know that. I have a-- "

"Y/n," the sound of my name caught me off guard and I completely froze, eyes glued to his no matter how much I wanted to look away. "I know you have a boyfriend, but if I'm being honest with you I-- "

Jungkook hesitated, the high planes of his face jutting out as he sucked in his cheeks, face contorted into some sort of inner pain he's experiencing from whatever argument is happening in his head.

"I just-- I don't think you should trust him," he finished his sentence an octave lower and the hairs on my arms stood on end at the subtle warning tone.

"I-I don't understand," I said quietly, tears beginning to burn behind my eyes. 

He could clearly read my emotions spread bluntly across my face and sighed deeply through his nose.

"I'm saying you shouldn't trust your boyfriend." 

I shook my head, contemplated whether or not I should just leave, run away and never meet with Jungkook ever again, to forget about the mess I'm unwillingly getting myself into.

But my eyes deceived me, ghosting across the insanely gorgeous guy standing before me. Those doe eyes swirling like melted chocolate continued to pierce through my soul. The cute way he keeps chewing on his full lower lip like a nervous bunny munching on a carrot. His hair is still messy but somehow it sculpts around his features perfectly, adding more detail to the soft and sharp dimensions of his face.

'Why would you believe him? Someone you've barely met? He doesn't know anything about you and your situation... '

I sighed to myself. 'But why do I want to believe him so badly?'

I couldn't think straight.

"Look, all I'm saying is that I want to get to know you better. I don't want to be a stranger," he said the last word sarcastically, trying to make light of the tense conversation. 

I couldn't help but to laugh, forcing tears back before I looked down, rocking back on my heels as I realized our hands were still connected. 

"I don't want to be a stranger anymore. Let me see you again," Jungkook said softly, giving my hand a squeeze for good measure and I almost laughed at the cheeky grin beginning spread across his face.

I took a deep breath. "As friends," I declared, more like warned, with a small smirk. He laughed softly and nodded his head, though his smile didn't really seem to reach his eyes this time.

"As friends," he mimicked, giving my hand another squeeze before letting go. He walked around the table and stood a little too close, leaning down to my height. "I think it's gonna be fun watching you try to deny me."

I sputtered. "D-didn't I j-just say-- "

"I love a challenge," he interrupted, deep voice teasing softly against my ear. 

Thump thump. 

Just like last night Jungkook managed to make my heart accelerate to a rapid, almost life threatening pace. And just like last night he's caused me to blush for what feels like the thousandth time. 

"Hey y/n, where-- " Jimin's voice caused both of us to jump apart as if we've both been electrically shocked.

Jimin's eyes narrowed into slits again and Jungkook looked off into the distance outside the large standing windows of the dining room, his hand rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. I on the other hand stood completely dumbfounded with my mouth hanging open like a student who was just caught cheating on a test.

"I'm coming, hang on," I sneered after composing myself. Jimin rolled his eyes and stomped off toward the front door again, mumbling incoherently about making me walk home instead. I quickly turned to face Jungkook whose eyes are burning my body as he looks my figure up and down, a predator eyeing his prey.

I consciously pulled down his t-shirt a bit and cleared my throat. "I guess I'll give you my number before I leave then."

"You guess?" His eyebrows raised while mine furrowed.

"Yes. Are you saying that you knew I would give you my number?" My arms crossed as his smug smile appears again.

"You could say that," he taunted back, bunny teeth contrasting the challenging look in his eyes. I bit down on my lower lip as I stepped closer, our chests almost touching as I grabbed a fist full of his shirt before pulling him down to my level.

I swear I heard him growl low in his throat. I brought my face closer, looking back and forth between his two sparkling orbs as they remain preoccupied on my lips.

"Well I guess I can't hand it over that easily then," with a side smirk I let go, a small push to his chest but his strong build doesn't budge that much. My hair whipped around as I sassily walked off toward the front door, feet echoing in the spacious house.

"Yah, y/n! Don't be that petty! How am I supposed to see you again?!" He remained standing frozen in his spot, voice bouncing off the dining room walls.

"Guess you'll just have to figure it out yourself."

I simply waved my hand, refusing to look back. 

Jungkook wants to challenge me. We'll see about that.

A/N♡:

Ahhhhh we all love a challenge.... right? 

 right? 

Please don't forget to vote for my book if you enjoy! 

Thanks for reading 💜

Now on to the next chapter -->