Chapter 12

A/N This chapter was a pain for me to write because I had to write it twice. The first time I wrote it, I wasnt proud of it, but I was relieved to get it done, and then I accidently deleted it. So I am very tired right now. :(

Azora stopped in front of the impressive wooden double doors, her ladies in waiting were following behind her, making sure her train was not folding up as it trailed on the floor.

She had been dressed in her most court appropriate clothing that morning, and her hair had been twisted into the usual braided bun, but without the french hood covering. Instead, one of her many tiaras had been placed atop her head. The tiara was her least fancy one, a plain, pure gold, thin circlet with a large sapphire right in the middle, at the front. It was plain, but expensive.

Her dress was extravagant but modest, covering both her shoulders and bosom. It was an emerald green with golden embroidery all down the front of the bodice and skirt, and a golden belt hung around her hips. Her sleeves were bell shape, trimmed with the same golden thread that decorated the rest of the dress. Her train was the same emerald green as the dress, but it was a sheer gossamer fabric.

The herald could be heard from the outside of the court room as he announced her presence.

"Her Majesty, Queen Azora Ysabella Rose Noverian!"

The doors swung open with great flourish and every one stood up, cutseying as she made her way past them, smiling and nodding her head in acknowledgement towards her people.

She stood in front of her throne, which was slightly smaller than her husbands, and turned to face the courtiers. She raised her palms to the roof, gesturing everyone to sit.
"Please, take your seats."

Everyone sat down, and they all waited in silence for the King to make his grand appearance. They waited for a long time.

Azora looked to the door in anticipation, tapping her fingers on the arm of her throne, as people began to murmur. She noticed that her husband was not the only person missing that morning. Azora scowled as she noticed Maddy was no where to be seen among her ladies.

She soon grew impatient, and stood up, grabbing the attention of the royal court.
"I think we shall have to start without his Highness, so if the first minister shall come forward..."

She sat back down as a middle aged man with a rather impressive moustache perched on his upper lip. She recognised him as Lord Percival Ridgeston, the minister for foreign affairs. He bowed low in respect, and cleared his throat before he began.

"Your highness, My concern is for a group of bandits on the border between Navalia and the country of Ibiv..."
***
The meeting of government went on for a few hours, ministers debating the putcomes of certain issues. Azora listened dutifully, giving her own imput on the matter, and ultimately deciding the outcome.
Most of her decisions were agreeable with the government, but some started more debates with the other ministers, and murmers from the public who had been able to watch. Otherwise, Azora felt her day had been rather successful.

There was one more minister who stood up and made his way to the thrones, bowing and then identifying himself.

"My Queen, I am Sir Matthias Jacobson."
He had a slight Cavian accent, and Azora smiled in delight at her home country's ambassador, who she had some sort of a friendship with the old man. He smiled back, but the smile did not reach his eyes, and he stroked his long white beard, trying to think of a way to say what he wanted to say without offending anyone.

"His Majesty, The King of Cavianny, has raised his concern about some gossip that has reached his ears."

Azora turned red, and raised her chin, not willing to let anyone see her feeling weak.

"He wants you to realise the damage you could do to the relationship between our two countries if you annul your marriage."

Azora frowned.
"I think you should tell that message to my husband."
She said, emphasizing the word husband.
"I have no intention of returning to Cavianny as a spinster, and I am sure this country would not benefit from my replacement."

The court agreed, including some of her ladies in waiting, which shocked Azora as she thought they were all after her husband.

The Cavian ambassador nodded, satisfied with her answer, before sitting back down on his bench.

A herald anounced the end of the meeting and everone stood up and bowed.

Azora stood up, and left the court, her Ladies in waiting struggling to keep up with her. She collapsed on a chaise lounge in a small room tucked away from the prying eyes of the court. She went to run her fingers through her hair but hesitated, not wanting to ruin her beautiful hair style.

Her ladies crowded around her, awkwardly looking at each other, not sure what to do for their distressed Queen.

Adelaide stepped forward and placed her hand on Azora's shoulder in comfort, before sitting down beside her.

"If I may your highness, we are here to support you."

Azora raised her brows at Adelaide in question, and the other ladies snickered, making the small blonde throw them all a mock glare.

"We know we have not really supported you before, we are all jealous of you landing that handsome husband of yours, but I have to be honest. I know I definitely would not want your husband. I admit, he was an amazing lover-"

The other Ladies giggled at her immuendo, Azora frowned slightly.

"But I would not want him as a husband. None of us would want him as a husband."
The other Ladies nodded and murmured in agreement.

"-and none of us like Lady Madeline, and her meddling to become the new Queen. We all agree that you are a perfect Queen."
Again, the other ladies agreed.

"You are his Queen for a reason, you know the ways of the court, and how to please the people. That wench knows nothing."

Azora smiled at her ladies as they all agreed, curtseying to her and dashing out of the small room to flirt with the other men of the court.

Azora lay back on the lounge, closing her eyes, and dozing off.