July 6th, 1957

It was a few weeks after Paul's birthday and the two of us were walking around the fair. It wasn't quite like a fair, there were less thing to do, so I was getting bored.

"Can't we just go home?" I said impatiently.

"No Diana! I really want to here this music group!" Paul said.

"Ugh, fine," I mumbled.

A few minutes later Paul pulled me by my arm and dragged me to a stage. Some boys started playing.

I looked at the sign on the side of the stage: The Quarrymen

I looked up at the singer. He was quite good...and a bit cute if I do say so myself. He had an Elvis type hairstyle. But his voice...ugh, his voice! It was so beautiful!

I must've zoned out until I felt Paul punch my arm a bit.

"Aren't these guys good?" He yelled over the music.

I nodded and looked back to the boy. He looked a bit older than me, and he seemed...wise. Well, kind of sophisticated like. Distinguished. Level-headed and bold. He rarely smiled while he was singing, he mostly kept a straight face.

When they were done I saw Paul talking to another kid. Paul motioned me to come over and then told me to follow him.

"Where are we going?" I asked Paul.

"This guy, Ivan, knows the band. We're gonna meet them," he smiled.

"Oh," I smiled a bit too knowing I was gonna meet the singer, which I was in awe of.

We walked into a building and I saw the band across the room. They were being pretty loud and they were drinking.

"John, hey John," Ivan called.

John...I love that name now.

"This is Paul, he can play too" Ivan continued.

"What, with himself?" John sneered.

I soon found out John was a bit of a smart ass by all the witty remarks he kept making.

John looked Paul up and down then glanced at me for a second. I blushed a little.

Paul ignored the response and looked at him.

John put out his hand for Paul to shake, "I'm John."

Paul shook his hand, "Paul."

"So, did you watch us play?" John asked while taking a swig of his beer.

"Yeah, you were alright," Paul replied.

I knew Paul liked the band a lot, but John was being an ass, so why shouldn't Paul be one as well?

The boys in the band laughed at Paul's comeback. I giggled a little too.

"We're alright?" John questioned, then he laughed a bit, "You're alright." He slapped Paul on the shoulder.

"So, how can you play?" John asked.

"Well, I guess I'm alright."

John motioned Paul to play, so Paul pulled his guitar strap over his shoulder.

"Isn't that backwards mate?" John frowned at Paul. I guess I never really noticed that Paul did play his guitar upside down, he was the only one I've ever seen play.

Paul ignored John again and started to strum his guitar. He then sang part of a song.

I looked at John out of the corner of my eye while Paul was playing. He looked quite amazed but didn't show it fully. The other boys of the band were tapping their feet but John glared them to stop, and they followed his orders.

Paul stopped playing and waited for John to maybe say something rude.

"How old are ya?" John asked.

"Fifteen."

"When?"

"Last month."

Paul waited for a response, "I can play something els-"

"Tick-Tock," John stopped him, "Nice meeting ya' but we've got to rehearse."

"I better get going anyways," Paul muttered.

"Ta-Ta then," John turned around and walked away.

Paul then walked out too, I followed behind.

Before I walked out, I heard one of the guys in the band, "He's really good."

The others agreed, but I didn't hear John say anything.

-
-
-
Most of the dialogue I got from the movie Nowhere Boy because I didn't really know what John and Paul would say to each other.