Human and mermaid

"Did I really get lost at sea..?" Rantarou asked himself with a groan. He leaned against the pole with the sail on his boat. He was starting to feel seasick as the boat was moving awfully slow. Rantarou looked down on his compass, it was pointing at the direction of the sail but it was getting him nowhere. How could this happen? Rantarou got up and began to look around the small chest in his boat for a map or one of the firecrackers he brought in case he needed to call for help.

The boat moved slowly as Rantarou continued to dig through the chest. He then suddenly felt the boat move in an alarming rock. Rantarou gripped onto the chest as the worst was about to happen. "Shit! How did the tide get so high?! Where the hell am I?!" He said frantically. He grabbed one of the firecrackers but it was too late before he could find the match. He felt the boat slowly begin to tip over. "Nononono!" Rantarou yelled as he ran to the sail, trying to raise it. However, it was in vain.

All he saw and felt was water. Honestly, what did he expect? It was just a small boat he made himself out of wood. It's not like it can last a lifetime. At least it lasted longer than he expected. But now wasn't the time to be admiring his handiwork. He could die, no, will die. His lungs were filled with water, it was all he felt. He tried to scream out but all that came out was bubbles. Rantarou couldn't tell if the wetness of his cheeks were from tears or the water. Rantarou felt his eyes close due to the growing weakness of his body. He wanted to find all his sisters, he really did. At least he died trying.

Rantarou felt wind hit his face. The area under him felt sandy. He swore he was dead. Is this heaven? Rantarou could still taste the saltiness of the sea in his mouth and feel his clothes sticking onto his skin. He slowly opened his eyes. In front of him were grey eyes, staring at him in a rather intense manner. He felt sharp and wet fingers withdraw from his chest.

"Ah, you're awake. I thought you were lost.." A soft voice said. Something about it sounded rather musical and alluring. Rantarou wanted to question the figure but he could barely speak. When he opened his mouth, he just felt water dribble down from his lips and the corners of his mouth. Rantarou didn't respond. His eyes continued to adjust until he saw the face staring back at him. The grey eyes were still staring into him, this time in relief. The features of the face were rather feminine as long lashes framed it's eyes and messy, short, navy blue hair ran along it's face. Some light blue scales scattered on it's cheeks and blue fins stuck out where it's ears are supposed to be. The scales looked glittery as the sun shone upon them. Rantarou looked away and onto the ground. The sand was sticking onto his body due to it still being wet.

The figure looked even more worried. "Y-you can hear me, right?!" it asked in a panic. Even when it was frantic, the unknown voice still sounded as pleasant as a wind chime. Rantarou nodded. He then felt some water gather in his throat. He got up and went into a coughing fit, watching water spit out. The bad taste in his mouth lingered, even after he finished coughing it all up.

He then felt arms wrap around his body. His forehead was now touching the unknown person's forehead. "W..what..?" his voice croaked but he just felt a scaly hand petting his back. The person was humming lightly. Rantarou could feel his worry of death lessen. His lungs and chest felt less heavy as water escaped his mouth and nose. It dribbled out effortlessly. Then he had moved away, the two of them keeping a fair distance. "Feeling better?" The person asked and Rantarou nodded.

His eyes lingered to the person's shirtless body, scales also littering the arms, hands, and shoulders. "You're not human.. Are you..?" Rantarou asked, his voice slowly returning. "No, I'm afraid not.. But please don't be afraid, I saved you." Was the answer he got. "I'm guessing you're a mermaid or rather a merman?" Rantarou asked. The mermaid nodded his head. "I saw you sinking in the ocean so I swam up to you as fast as I could and tried to find a place to put you down. It's quite nice that I was able to find this small island, I'd hate having to lay you down on a rock.." The mermaid explained.

"Ah, I see. Thanks a lot." Rantarou said with a grateful smile. The mermaid looked away for a moment and down towards the water. He looked like he was looking for something. When he dug his hands out of the water, Rantarou noticed he was holding one of the firecrackers, now drenching wet and most likely no longer functional. "Do you need this..? I found a lot of them when I was picking you up." He asked. Rantarou shook his head. "Not anymore, it's unusable now." Rantarou explained but still took it from the mermaid's hands. "By any chance, did you find my compass too?" Rantarou asked. The mermaid went back into searching until he pulled out the compass. "You mean this..?" He asked. Rantarou nodded, relieved beyond belief. Rantarou quickly accepted the compass.

"How were you storing these things? If that's okay for me to ask." Rantarou asked curiously. The mermaid whipped out his tail from the sea. "I was using my tail fins. It was a little difficult but I managed. I'm glad I was able to give you back the things you needed." The mermaid explained, moving his tail slightly before plopping it back into the ocean. Rantarou looked at the island. It had a good amount of palm trees and there was a large number of bushes to the west. It could indicate a wilderness and perhaps even a hidden village.

"Do you know this place?" Rantarou asked but the mermaid shook his head. "I don't really travel to land much, sorry.." The mermaid responded. "Nah, don't be sorry. That's understandable." He replied calmly. The mermaid just awkwardly nodded. "Oh yeah, what's your name? I want to thank you properly." Rantarou said with a smile. "Ah! Um.." The mermaid looked away awkwardly. A scaly hand nervously rubbing the mermaid's temple. "I'm sorry.. No one ever asked for my name.. I-I'm Shuuichi." The mermaid then fessed up. "It's very nice to meet you Shuuichi! I'm Rantarou Amami! Also thanks a bunch for saving my life!" Rantarou replied. "N-no.. I-its nothing.." Shuuichi replied. Shuuichi then looked back by the ocean. "I should get going now.. The others might get worried." Shuuichi then said, giving Rantarou an apologetic glance.

"Wait! Before you go, is there any way I can like, call for you or something?" Rantarou asked. Shuuichi thought to himself. "Maybe, you can use that." He said as he pointed at the fire cracker. "How? I only have one." Rantarou questioned. "When you want to leave the island, throw it into the water. I'm nearby so I'll spot it." Shuuichi explained. "And do you have a way to call out to me?" Rantarou asked. Shuuichi looked away, his face looked bashful. "I-it's embarrassing b-but I can sing out your name if you want.. It's Rantarou, right..?" Shuuichi replied. Rantarou nodded.

"And when I manage to leave, you can swim along with me if you want." Rantarou also offered. Shuuichi smiled. "That sounds nice.. I'll be off now.." He replied. "Alright. See ya! And thanks once again for saving me!" Rantarou called out as Shuuichi began to swim away. Shuuichi gave him one last smile before he went underwater.