Chapter 49

Layla's POV

The thoughts of Donald and my friends get cut off when I hear mum's shout.

"Layla, sweetheart, breakfast's ready!" I hear mum's cheery voice.

She's been nice to me these past few days and honestly I don't care whether it's fake or not.

I let out a sigh as I wipe the spilt tears off my cheeks before standing up. I tie up my knotty hair into a loose pony, before I head out the door and down the stairs.

I catch a glimpse of the kitchen through the open door and see dad and mum already sat, talking to each other.

I slowly make my way and enter, heading towards the chair across from mum.

When she sees me, she immediately gives me a smile, standing up from her chair and heading over to the orange counter, picking up a plate of pancakes. Which is our everyday breakfast meal.

She walks to me, the smile remaining on her face, as she places six pancakes on my plate and my eyes widen, before I look back up at her.

"Is there a problem, sweetie?" She beams and I quickly shake my head, as I take a seat on the chair, before I begin to dig in.

I look up and catch dad's gaze as he stares at me intently, whilst stabbing pieces of his pancake using a fork, and shoving it in his mouth.

After a few moments, he gives me a smile and I couldn't tell if it was fake or not, so I looked away and continued eating.

After a while, I look up and see mum staring at me, still smiling.

Okay, what the hell is their problem?

"Um. Where's Heidi?" I ask feeling slightly uncomfortable, with their stares.

Mum lets out a small laugh. "She went with Killian of course. Won't be back for another three days."

What? I frown, as I continue to eat, licking the syrup off my lips.

Why did he take Heidi and not me?

I continue to frown as I rip another piece of pancake, popping it in my mouth. After a while the awkward atmosphere once again breaks, with mum's voice.

"So, what are your plans today then, hunny?"

I flicker my gaze up and see both my parents beaming at me, and I let out a sigh.

"Nothing." I shake my head, plastering a small smile.

"Like always then." She laughs, and I frown as dad begins to chuckle as well.

"I'm going to go out." I mumble after a while, clearing my throat, and looking down.

She hums. "What did Killian say?" I see her tilt her head. "You can't go on your own, can you?"

Why is everyone acting like Killian is a king. He's not!

..King Killian. Hm, Sounds kind of cool.

"Well?" Mum cuts me out of my thoughts, and I roll my eyes in response.

"Layla, did Killian say you can go on your own?" She asks again when I don't respond, her voice laced with irritation.

I grit my teeth, before I place the fork back down, leaving the two pancakes there, before I look up at mum.

"He said I can do whatever I want without his permission because he knows I'm not a little kid." I say as calmly as possible, as I wipe my sticky fingers on the tissue provided.