Chapter 1: Limeade-colored glasses

"Just walk away. Go home. You don't want to see what's behind that door," Sheila whispered to herself as she tiptoed down the hall.

But she knew she couldn't pretend anymore. Edward had been acting strange for days. In fact, he started acting distant the day after he so kindly brought her favorite drink, Wendy's Limeade, to work "just because." He was so considerate like that, always thinking of others. That's what made her fall in love with him in the first place. But now, for reasons she couldn't explain, she felt the emotional gap between them widening with each moment.

A lesser woman might have just gone on like nothing was wrong, avoided making a fuss. But Sheila, well, she was no ordinary woman. She knew what she wanted and had no problem fighting for it. And the love she and Edward shared ... she'd fight for that until her dying breath.

Sheila continued tiptoeing down the hall, her fears beginning to swell and burn in her chest. She felt a craving for Wendy's Limeade creeping in, but even that sweet, sweet nectar couldn't cure the burning pain and uncertainty in her heart.

What would she find? Possibly nothing, but she wasn't naive. She knew Edward was a dashing man. Women pined after him wherever he went. Sheila had always believed his heart was true, but maybe she was no longer enough for him.

As she approached the door, Sheila heard his laugh — that infectious laugh that always made her feel like a schoolgirl being kissed for the first time. But this time, the laugh wasn't for her. She heard a woman's voice. No, it couldn't be, not after everything they'd shared — the heartache, the joy, the icy cold Wendy's beverages.

"Let me try yours. I just want a taste," the woman's voice cooed softly.

Sheila heard a slurping noise accompanied by more laughter.

"Oh, stop it, Edward!"

Sheila felt sick. After all this time, he was throwing away everything they had built together. Shaking, she raised her hand to turn the doorknob.

"Sheila," she said to herself, "you need to know the truth. You can't keep living behind these limeade-colored glasses. No longer can you give your love to a man who doesn't deserve it."

With one deep breath, she finally mustered the courage to turn the knob and open the door.