Chapter 3: When love turns sour

Sheila reached out and stroked Edward's face.

"I don't know if I can ever forgive you, but I'm willing to spend the rest of my life trying."

"Why are you touching my face right now?"

Edward tried to back away, but Sheila inched closer.

"Shhhhh. Don't. Your eyes say it all."

Edward slowly grabbed her hand and lowered it from his cheek.

"I think you need to leave. Immediately. This is getting weird."

This couldn't be real. Sheila felt like she was stuck in some nightmare. And then the rage set in.

"Well if I can't have you, then you don't deserve these!"

Sheila swiped the limeade out of his hand and ran to the sink with both beverages.

"This is what you've driven me to, Edward. And I will stop at nothing until you hurt like I do."

"Sheila! Please, I'm begging you. Not the Wendy's Limeades!"

"You made me do this, Edward."

"SHEILA, YOU MADWOMAN. ANYTHING BUT THE LIMEADES!"

Edward launched himself at her, but it was too late. In an instant, every last drop of the beautiful elixir was washed down the drain, along with Sheila's ability to ever love again.

Edward crumpled to his knees, raising his palms toward the sky, sobbing.

"Edward, we can just go to Wendy's and get more limeades. It's, like, 10 minutes away," the other woman whispered as she bent down and tried to console him.

Edward tried to muster words as tears streamed down his face. "We can't, Janine. The car ... it won't ... it won't start."

"We can just get them delivered through DoorDash then," Janine pleaded with Edward. "Please, Edward, get ahold of yourself, it will all be OK."

Janine's attempts to console the poor, thirsty man were futile, and Edward continued sobbing uncontrollably.

Sheila tossed the empty cups at Edward's limp body. Then she reached into her purse and pulled out a glistening Wendy's Limeade.

"That's why I always travel with a spare," Sheila declared as she took a sip of her Wendy's Limeade and walked out the door.