Nathan- Seven

On the bus ride home they opened all the windows to let air in, making the bus externally loud, but also ten degrees cooler than it was outside.

Since Nathan still wanted to talk to Glenn without the harsh winds interrupting him, he took the spot alongside the other boy once more.

"I still can't believe that you hit that kid," Nathan said to begin their conversation and Glenn, who had been looking at him curiously up until that point rolled his eyes and looked away.

"I feel awful".

"You shouldn't feel bad. You hit a junior with a tennis ball, so what?" Nathan asked, eyeing his doubles partner and smirking at the sight of his pink cheeks. "It's not your fault".

"If it's not mine then whose?" Was Glenn's response and Nate frowned.

"Why does it need to be anyone's". Glenn sighed. "Come on, Pearson. It was funny. Don't beat yourself up over it".

Glenn looked ahead then, his brown eyes moving over their team on the bus. "Is that what you wanted to talk to me about- assuming this is just more than our typical bonding time," Glenn asked and Nathan turned his face away quickly.

"I need to have a reason for sitting by you?" Nate asked and Glenn let out a huff of air that sounded similar to a laugh.

"Nathan, we've been on the same team since we were sophomores. I know that you usually sleep on the way home from away matches," Glenn deduced and Nathan just shrugged.

"Not tired," he lied, but when he looked at Glenn he didn't look convinced. "Okay, Yeah. Maybe there's something I want to talk to you about too".

Glenn closed his eyes and dropped his head back against the seat. "You're thinking about it, aren't you?" Nate stayed quiet, since he was. "You can't get your hopes up again, Nathan. We almost made it last year too and then we didn't, and it crushed you".

"You're right," Nathan agreed softly. "But it's hard not to think about it, you know? Because we're good Glenn. We're so good".

"We were good last year too". Nathan sighed, turning away from Glenn. "Look, I'm not saying that we can't do it-"

"I know," Nate interrupted. "I get it. You don't want me to be disappointed if it doesn't work out".

Glenn was quiet for a minute. "We can practice more, if you want. I know that school starts a week from Monday, but we could take advantage of that week-"

"Will you stay at practice late with me once school starts?" Nathan interrupted. "Not all days, just some days". He turned his head to look at Glenn once more and the other boy did the same, holding his gaze for a little before nodding.

"Yeah. I think that's a good idea". Nathan continued to look at him, unable to miss the exhaustion on Glenn's face.

It occurred to him then that while he decided he didn't want to take his nap, Glenn had not made that decision and was most likely only awake because Nathan was sitting beside him talking. "Are you tired?"

Glenn's eyes closed. "Is it that obvious".

"You can sleep, you know. You don't have to listen to me talk about state".

"I like listening to you talk," Glenn said softly, closing his eyes and tilting his head back against the seat, his body relaxing into it. "You speak with purpose". Nathan's eyebrows raised. "And sometimes you say the dumbest shit". Nathan laughed, relaxing back against the seat as Glenn had and looked forward.