8

AURELIA

Everything that I've ever been told about myself flashed through my mind in words as I thought about his question for a few moments. 

What is there to know about you? 

Well, there's the fact that I am blessed by the Moon Goddess as the Golden Wolf, the one wolf born every hundred years with special abilities given from the heavens above. Should I tell him that I can feel what he's feeling right now? that if he were to be cut with a silver blade I could heal him in seconds just by touching him? that I can tell whenever anyone is lying? that I can persuade almost anyone to do almost anything? Should I tell him that I have the power to either save or destroy the werewolf world as we know it, and a little prophecy is all that is maintaining the balance at the moment? 

If I did, would he stay by my side? My father's words rang through my ears; Alpha Kai Alistair is notoriously power-hungry. How could I be certain that he wouldn't just use my power for himself and tip the prophecy into evil's favor? 

I looked into his blue eyes, those piercing ocean eyes, and I felt his emotions. And when I really reached out, to find exactly how he felt, I only received genuine curiosity and intrigue. There was no malice, no malintent or darkness. Only good-hearted, genuine curiosity. I nodded my head, and I would tell him, because I had told my father that he can't be as bad of a man as everyone makes him out to be, and who would I be to withhold information about myself from him just because my father thinks he might use that information for his own benefit? 

"There is a bit more to me than what meets the eye," I told him, and I could see the spark of interest light in his eyes. Moving over to the bed and away from the balcony, I sat on the side, pulling up my legs so that I was sitting with my legs folded together. 

He joined me, and I could see and feel the curiosity that burned in his eyes, "Well? What exactly does that mean, Aurelia?" 

Taking a deep breath, I decided to start from the beginning, "When I was born, I was glowing. There was literally a golden light coming from my body the moment I was born. Both of the nurses and the Beta Female fainted at the sight, and the doctor almost dropped me. My parents immediately sought out the guidance of the elders, who immediately recognized it as a blessing from the Moon Goddess-- the Golden Blessing, to be exact." 

I paused, searching for any signs of recognition within him. When I received none, I continued with my life story, "The Golden Wolf is born every 100 years and is specially chosen by the Moon Goddess. I'm the Golden Wolf, and I have abilities because of it. I can heal people, and sense their emotions or tell when they're lying, and I can persuade them to do what I want. I have so many powers given to me by the Moon Goddess to help protect those around me." 

"That's amazing," He murmured, "How do you heal them?" 

"By touch for serious injuries," I responded, "But for minor things, I only have to be near them. My presence alone is enough to invigorate the men fighting a lost cause to regroup and win. I have more power than anyone else on this planet." 

Kai drew his brows together slightly, "Why are you saying this like it's a bad thing?" 

"You know the saying 'With great power, comes great responsibility'?" He nodded. "That's true in this case, too. The day I was born, a witch who was just passing through our pack had a premonition. Her family came from a long line of seers, and it was actually how she discovered she had the gift of prophecy. She recited a prophecy about me, one that could mean the end of the world as we know it." 

"Tell me," he demanded, and so I recited it. 

He sat back away from me for a moment as he seemed to think heavily upon this

He sat back away from me for a moment as he seemed to think heavily upon this. I could practically see the wheels turning in his head behind his eyes, the words sinking in, his brain wracking for ideas about what exactly it could mean, as its ambiguity left it open to certain levels of interpretation, though that never led to anything good. 

Reaching out, I placed my hand on top of his and he looked back to me, his eyes refocused, "I know that right now all you want to do is search for a solution to this, but I need you to trust me on this, the more you think about it, the worse it'll get. I told you because you deserve to know, not because I thought there was something you could do about it." 

"It sounds like you'll be the cause of the world's destruction," He said, his deep voice still sending shivers down my spine. Funny, I thought I'd be used to it by now. 

"Maybe," I nodded, offering him a small smile, "But the last four lines give me hope that the light will prevail. I have to believe that good will win, or else what else would all of it have been for?" 

Confusion fell upon his face again, "All of what?" 

"Life," I responded. I could tell that I was beginning to lose him, but I continued, in the hopes that maybe something I say would resonate with him, and leave a lasting impact, "All of the ups and the downs that I've dealt with throughout my life and the hurt, the pain, the bitter feelings I've cast out-- I have to believe that that was all for something, a purpose greater than myself. Before I met you, I doubted that I even had a mate-- just like you did. I thought of the blessing and the prophecy, and I thought that if I had this great but terrible destiny, the Moon Goddess wouldn't give me a mate to hurt. But I found you, my mate, and now I have to believe that maybe I'm meant for just a great destiny, not a terrible one, because why else would I have you? The Moon Goddess could not be that cruel to have the fates bring us together, only for fate to tear us apart again. So, as I said, I believe that everything happens for a reason, and I met you for a reason-- for the good to win, and for evil to lose." 

He nodded in understanding, though the far-off look in his eyes told me that he didn't understand too much of what I said, and to be honest, neither did I. Sure, I knew what I meant and what I was trying to say, but in this moment, my words seemed to fail me when I desired them most. 

Suddenly, he asked me a question, "How old are you, Aurelia?" 

"20," I responded lightly, and immediately I knew where his next question was going. 

"And when is your birthday?" He asked. 

With a sigh, I offered him an apologetic smile, because I knew that should this prophecy come true, we would lose each other sooner than either of us would be prepared for, "January 2nd." 

And today was November 30th, leaving us with just 33 days until the prophecy's deadline. The dread he felt filled me as he left the room, and I was left feeling cold, regretting ever opening my mouth to tell him who I was.