Chapter 6

Slowly opening the door Catina caught a glimpse of her mother, who appeared busy with paperwork. Not wanting to disturb her mother, Catina was about to leave, when she heard her mother calling out to her.

"Catina, darling, don't just stand there at the door." Amelia said, her voice tinged with affection, "Come sit with mommy."

Catina hesitantly came in, closing the door behind her. She glanced at the pile of paper on the desk before asking, "Really? You're not busy?"

"How can I be busy when my dearest daughter seeks my company?" Amelia replied with a smile.

Catina repeated glanced at the paper on the table.

"Come here darling." Amelia urged.

Unable to resist her mother's urging, Catina took a seat next to her.

Silence filled the room as neither of them spoke. For Catina, she was simply too embarrassed to, and for Amelia, she was simply waiting for her daughter to speak her mind.

Catina took a huge breath, and then spoke, "I'm sorry for getting angry with you mother, I didn't mean to."

Amelia's eyes widened slightly in surprise, warmth filling her heart.

Placing her hand in front of her mouth,  Amelia gave Catina a sorrowful expression. "Are you really sorry?"

Catina grabbed onto her mother's dress and sincerely said, "Of course I am mother!"

Amelia easily resisted the urge to smile and continued to frown, her eyes even began to water. "Then will you promise mother something?"

Seeing her mother begin to cry, Catina felt a little guilty, "Anything!"

"Promise me that anytime something is bugging you, that you'll share your problems with me." Amelia paused for a moment and then continued, "Or that you'll share it with your sister or father, whoever you feel comfortable speaking with."

Catina hesitated, it wasn't that she didn't want to agree with her mother, it was just that she wasn't sure she would be able to uphold her promise. Last time she was upset, even when she wanted to explain, she felt like she was being silly. Like she was worrying over something trivial, that wasn't worth anyone's time.

Seeing her daughter make no move to speak Amelia continued, "Can you promise that you'll at least try?"

Catina nodded faintly.

Seeing her daughter agree, Amelia pulled Catina into a hug.

Amelia was startled when she felt a cold sensation on her chest. She looked down at Catina, who was trembling faintly in her arms. Amelia briefly wondered if she had pushed her too far, if she had made her upset.

"I was so worried!" Cried Catina. "At first I was happy for her, I really was!"

"Were you worried about Catrina?"

Catina nodded her head yes, and then nodded her head no, causing Amelia to frown.

"I don't understand Catina."

"I mean, I worry about her, but that's not what I was worried about." Catina buried her head further into her mother's chest as she struggled to explain herself.

Amelia gently rubbed her head, silently coaxing Catina to continue.

"It's just that Rina, is so amazing, so surely one day she'll," Catina was forced to pause as she was assaulted by hiccups, "One day she'll definitely go somewhere far away without me!"

"Catina....why would you think that?"

"It's just that she's so talented and....I'm not" Catina whispered. "Somehow, I feel as if one day she's going to be someone spectacular, then she won't want to be with me anymore."

"Who says you're not talented?" Amelia asked as she tried to keep her emotions under control.

"No...one" Catina hiccuped, "No one says that."

"Then why do you think like that?"

"I...I don't know..." Catina slowly looked up and stared into her mother's greens eyes. "I...I'm sorry mommy, I'm being silly aren't I?"

Amelia hugged her tighter, "My precious baby, your worries are anything but silly."

Catina smiled slightly, reaching up to wipe away her mother's tears.

Amelia leaned down and rubbed her face against Catina's, causing her to giggle.

"I'm sure being separated from you is that last thing Catrina wants." Amelia said in a reassuring tone.

"I know...she said that we'd be together forever..." Catina whispered, a small smile on her face.

"That's good to hear, does that make you happy?"

Catina nodded.

Amelia cupped Catina's cheek, caressing it softly, "You and your sister are both so precious to me." Amelia paused, "You're both my precious little flowers."

"Flowers?" Catina giggled.

"You don't like it?" Amelia chuckled.

"No...flowers are lovely." Catina smiled.