Chapter 31

"M-My mother?" I question in disbelief. She nods her head at me giving me a small smile trying to comfort me. I stand shocked not knowing what to do or say. I feel my stomach start to churn. I can't believe it. What is she doing back? Why is she back?

"I'm here for you," Xander whispers grabbing my shoulder in a comforting gesture. I give him a half smile looking back at my grandma. I slowly nod my head following her out the room. I walk behind her to the living room and feel the fear build in me with each step causing me to feel slightly dizzy. She moves out of the way and my breath gets caught in my throat.

I lock eyes with her, with the women who left me all those years ago, when I needed her most. I feel slight anger rise in me seeing her now. She seems to notice my anger and confusion by giving me a sorrowful smile.

"Emilia, it's so good to see you again," she says taking steps towards me with her arms stretched out waiting for me to reciprocate. I decline, taking a step back folding my arms across my chest. Hurt flashes her eyes as she slowly lowers her arms.

"I have some things to explain," She adds. I nod my head still remaining silent not really knowing what to say.

She takes a seat and I do the same, sitting on the couch opposite her. Xander takes a seat next to me and grandma takes a seat next to my mother. She looks at Xander next to me then back to me.

"I wanted to talk privately..." she asserts, trying not to sound rude.

"He's staying. He's been here for me more over the past month than you have in 3 years," I say to her then glance at Xander. Xander gives me an 'are you sure' look and I nod my head looking back at her. I hear her sigh then continue.

"Emilia. I'm sorry that I had to leave you...your father-"

"He's not my father," I spit out. I hear her sigh.

"So...you know he isn't your birth father,"

"Yep," I answer, popping the p. I then look into her eyes with hatred flowing through me.

"He told me you ran away with your lover and then decided to beat me afterword, blaming me for what you did," I say bitterly watching as she breaks eye contact with me looking down at her hands.

"I-I never thought that...he would do that to you," She responds with somber features. I almost scoff at her but shrug my shoulders trying to show that I don't care but am really hurting.

"Emilia, you have to understand that I had to get away. He started to beat me practically every night for a year and f-force me to..." She pauses as tears fall down my face. Wait, what?! That happened to her? Which means she knew what type of person he was and what he was capable of?

I feel anger flow through my vains and I stand up abruptly.

"So you knew how he was this whole time and just left me with him!" I practically scream. I look over at my grandma with hurt quickly replacing the anger towards my mother.

"Did you know about this?" I whisper my voice sounding broken.

"No, this is my first time hearing of this," She says looking over at her daughter with heartache.

"Why didn't you tell me, Lillian? I could have helped you," she says holding back her tears as she looks at her daughter.

"He would have found me, mom, putting you in danger too," my mother states grabbing her hand's comfortingly.

I become furious. I stare at my mother in utter disbelief. I know you should love your mother but I'm her daughter. Did she think about me at all for the last 3 year not caring about my safety!?